Hunting Accident ?? in Lewis County

Deerthug

crazy how youu can miss a deer or hit it wrong and it live.But a human will most likely die.If you don't identify the target and make sure it is a deadly hit on the game you are hunting then it will most likely turn out bad.And in this case it was fatally bad.

Its just a damn shame.it really is.

Actually Franklin County Beat Lewis county although it was not a fatality. A guy shot his brother in the shoulder with a muzzleloader. No other details were given in the AP article in the paper. That's got to really make a mess of a shoulder ...... yick!

This one happened not to far from me. the shooter shot at a deer and missed. the bullet hit a rock and ricocheted and hit his brother that was walking out on a trail. all of the articles only say he shot his brother in the shoulder they don't specify how.

Here's another not in NY but hunting related. This is why in my opinion I don't hunt on state land or next to it. I hunt with my wife and just took my 8yr old son with me for bow if something like this was to happen to me I'd snap and take em out. So far I have had good neighbors by my property that also hunt and we all know where are stands are and are all on the same 2 way radios so there no problems. I hunted sterling forest for a few years and had only one problem with a guy but seen enough stupid BS from the tree stand that if I had a camera I could have made a show. Hunting has changed for me Not only do I have the thrill of the hunt But I also have the fear of death.....Be Safe Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/24/sheriff-hiker-mistakenly-shot-by-hunter_n_1029105.html

This one happened not to far from me. the shooter shot at a deer and missed. the bullet hit a rock and ricocheted and hit his brother that was walking out on a trail. all of the articles only say he shot his brother in the shoulder they don't specify how.

Now that I can accept as an accident. A crappy accident, but not much control over that one.

Stupidity... ive heard so many stories. one guy got shot carrying a decoy, another guy was shot draggin a kill, ive almost been shot in southern tier on state land, and i was full blaze. Last season, i was sittin in a stand on a corner of two roads in a corn/hay field, and i had a handful of deer in front of me. on both roads, 2 roadies pulled up and had their rifles pointing in the field. i was looking right smack at the tip of the barrel of one of them, waving my orange flag. scared the hell out of me. idiots everywhere you go, thank god no one shot.

As my Dad told me when I began hunting and repeated it many times throughout my life "there is no I'm sorry with a gun". I have now repeated it many times to my son,and when he read this article he said the same thing that most of us are saying. So not to beat a fallen horse, but just puttin my 2 cents in.

Be safe out there and enjoy the season

You know, some of these incidents of mis-identification of targets kind of point up the fact that these guys are not really picking out a lethal target spot on the deer. In other words, they are just trying to get a bullet somewhere in the deer. They obviously don't know or care what end of the deer they're shooting at. I generally over compensate by not shooting at any running deer. Yeah that may be a bit extreme, but that's just the way I handle shot selection. The guys firing off these 5-shot volleys that you hear where guys are just spraying the woods with lead, they really aren't all that concerned with where they hit the deer, but instead are relying just on blind luck. Well, sometimes luck turns out to be bad. If you can't tell the difference between a human and a deer, then you sure aren't trying to place the shot. I guess when people develop sloppy shooting habits, there often are some pretty ugly results that can occur.

Correct regulations I believe are sun rise which means to me I can see the sun.

To sun set which means again to me that the sun has set beyond my sight.I really

don't think it means lightt to dark.I have read lots of accident reports and when the

low light issue comes up to me no body should for any reason discharge their fire-

arm.Its not a matter of I thought or it looked like.Actually this is the time of the day

that scares the hell out of me in the woods even if I have a light.I read an srtical

one time where a guy shot another guy cause he thought the light was the white

flag of a deer.Alot of these type accidents always make think if theres more to the

story thats being told.There was an accident in the 80s or 90s near middletown

where a guy shot and killed another hunter in low light.After investigating the circum-

stances the police found oout that the 2 men had be feuding for over 2yrs over the

hunting spot.

What about us predator hunters though? We hunt at all hours of the night.

and predator hunters are LEGAL when doing so. I can not recall the ever hearing of an incident where someone was shot predator hunting. Again I callit hunter insanity. The new reports coming out about this one which is pretty local to me, they were also drinking and both the shooter and shoote were under the influence of alcohol.

and predator hunters are LEGAL when doing so. I can not recall the ever hearing of an incident where someone was shot predator hunting. Again I callit hunter insanity. The new reports coming out about this one which is pretty local to me, they were also drinking and both the shooter and shoote were under the influence of alcohol.

There have been some, not that many that I can remember though. One happened last year or the year before where one guy shot another when a fox ran between them.