Hunting Accident ?? in Lewis County

Deerthug

IMO, not an accident, but an act of pure, outright, unsafe stupidity. Right from the article...

"saw what he thought was a deer and fired his rifle"

How many times have you heard that when it comes to hunting "accidents"? I hear it multiple times per year. Unless the guy that got shot was wearing a deer costume and crawling on all 4's, there is no possible way that you could mistake a person for a deer if you are safely and correctly identifying your target before you shoot. You should not be shooting at movement, color, noise or anything other than a damn deer.

Stories like this get my blood boiling because they are called "accidents". Nobody gets shot by accident, every shooting is either intentional or a result of unsafe gun handling.

• Like 1

Its a sad deal either way but shooting at what he thought was a deer and our early news said it happened at 630pm.. Im not sure what the legal hours were but its gettin dark thats for sure...We have to be so carefull out there.In this case you could say 2 lives were lost to an extent...Very young man with lots of years left....and lots of thinkin to do!!

• Like 1

IMO, not an accident, but an act of pure, outright, unsafe stupidity. Right from the article...

"saw what he thought was a deer and fired his rifle"

How many times have you heard that when it comes to hunting "accidents"? I hear it multiple times per year. Unless the guy that got shot was wearing a deer costume and crawling on all 4's, there is no possible way that you could mistake a person for a deer if you are safely and correctly identifying your target before you shoot. You should not be shooting at movement, color, noise or anything other than a damn deer.

Stories like this get my blood boiling because they are called "accidents". Nobody gets shot by accident, every shooting is either intentional or a result of unsafe gun handling.

I hear you WNY! That's why I specifically put ??? next to accident in the title. I think it should have said "Hunting stupidity".

The sad thing is that it's still early in the season and I know we are going to hear a lot more of these supposed "accidents". I myself am so paranoid of taking a shot even after I identified my target and whatever may lay beyond it especially if I'm looking at taking a deer at any distance.

Edited by Deerthug

I love the "I thought" I don't know about you when I say I think it is deer I don't even raise my gun bow etc.. I was in a parking lot last night and heard a guy say I thought I had a good shot on the deer now I have to come back and track her. So I guess it was not a good shot. Never ASSUME you know what they say. DON't THINK ,KNOW.

• Like 1

And how about this one a few years ago when a father "accidentally" mistakes his 9 y.o. son for a turkey? http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351877,00.html

I mean. . . come on! How can you mistake a 9 yo for a turkey for God's sake. I feel bad for that family but again, stupidity and unsafe gun handling came into play in that one.

Camo, Blaze Orange, whats the difference? Theres no way to mistake a hunter clad in either for a deer if you are correctly verifying your target. If there was a deer in between them, maybe I could see a way to justify it as an accident if the bullet passed through or near the deer and hit the other person (wearing full camo) that was not visible in the background. That doesnt sound like the case here though, as long as the reports we are getting are correct.

Sadly, the lives of every one are now changed forever.

I have hunted for many years and NEVER observed a animal that looked remotely like a human form even if dress in full blaze orange or full camo. People and animals NEVER look the same.

Bottom line is that this was a careless act and should have never happened...

Thoughts and prayers to the families involved....

WNYBH....as premised it was JUST a wondering and put NO excuses in BOLD print

Besides as I STATED he was clearly hunting ILLEGALLY hunting at the time....

and remember guys The DEC will go by their chart as for IE...... today on their chart close is 5:59.... where as...Buffalo weather for my area states today actual sunset is 6:14

A friend of mine had a close call during rifle season last year. He has 30 acres up near Roscoe that abuts state land. He's in his stand - sees a 10 pt about 50 yards out. He shoots, it kicks like a mule and runs behind his stand and onto state land. He waits about 10-15 minutes. Gets down and starts walking into the woods where he saw the buck run in. He gets into the State land about 75 yds and sees the same deer standing up against a tree another 25 yds away. He raises his rifle, and just as he's about to take another shot, other shots ring out from behind him. He drops and hits the dirt dodging bullets. Turns out there were three guys in trees and they all saw this buck and start shooting - emptying their rifles with bullets flying all over the place. And yes he was in all orange especially because his land borders state land. I'm amazed as to how they saw the deer but did not see my friend in full blaze orange standing between them and the deer. They come down. Eventually another hunter from further into the woods also comes over and saw everything that happened got their names and tag numbers and called the local ECO. I'm not sure what happened after that. Thankfully, the worst that happened to my friend is that he dropped a couple of loads in his pants. Unfortunately he didn't take the buck since his shot didn't kill him and one of the other shots did.

I thought the same thing when I saw the time, but just to play Devil's advocate it is possible that that's when the 911 call went out, or when someone finally looked at their watch in all the turmoil. The actual event could've happened earlier than 6:30.

WNYBH....as premised it was JUST a wondering and put NO excuses in BOLD print

Besides as I STATED he was clearly hunting ILLEGALLY hunting at the time....

and remember guys The DEC will go by their chart as for IE...... today on their chart close is 5:59.... where as...Buffalo weather for my area states today actual sunset is 6:14

I know what you were saying and my comment wasnt aimed directly at you, it was just kind of a "just sayin" comment. Sorry if it came off as being pointed. B)

Actually Franklin County Beat Lewis county although it was not a fatality. A guy shot his brother in the shoulder with a muzzleloader. No other details were given in the AP article in the paper. That's got to really make a mess of a shoulder ...... yick!

Know your target and identify it is what you want to shoot.A mistake on a target can and will cause deadly.There is no EXCUSE there is a difference between hunting and fishing you can release the fish,but cannot retreve your bullets. :angry: :angry:

Its a sad deal either way but shooting at what he thought was a deer and our early news said it happened at 630pm.. Im not sure what the legal hours were but its gettin dark thats for sure...We have to be so carefull out there.In this case you could say 2 lives were lost to an extent...Very young man with lots of years left....and lots of thinkin to do!!

legal light ended at 6:13PM. Kind of negates the agrument that 15 minutes before or after legal light is no big deal.