Squirrel's New Rod Build

5 hours ago, Nytracker said:

https://www.mudhole.com/DCRDS-Variable-Speed-Rod-Dryer-with-Dryer-Clutch

This is what I'm waiting on .  I also bought the blank extension. 

Is that the one that needs the rubber bands to hold the blank? Hope you get it soon. I wanna follow your next build. 

My wrapper has a second drying motor for this. 

4 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Approx how long do you think it will take for you to finish the rod? 

4 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Probably  depends on his OCD..... how many times he has to rewrap the guides to make them perfect...:rofl:

It typically takes 2-3 weeks once all the components arrive, depending on how intricate the rod is. Most of that time is curing. Any time i use any epoxy, I allow 24 hours of cure time before proceeding. I will use up to 3 coats of epoxy on the wraps and then allow 3 days of curing after the last one before declaring it fishable. And yes, I sometimes redo wraps over and over until I am happy with them. I was never actually diagnosed with OCD lol. 

Edited by squirrelwhisperer
Posted without commenting lol
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I have 5 out of 8 guides done. Still have to do the tip-top and deco wrap before I can start epoxy. Real PITA to make sure all the under wraps and trims are the identical size. Guides get wrapped and re-wrapped sometimes. Lookin good.

5166bfb3d38adc7a3cd3ad0607f6ca6f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good ..    like to see what you think of  the pro coat

• Thanks 1

I am a big fan of the Flexcoat slip clutch. When I'm applying finish, it allows me to rip a coat of epoxy on at full speed, then to simply grab the rod and look at it carefully for errors. I find that the more attention I pay to the epoxy, the less professional it appears. If I apply it quickly, fill in the gap under the guide foot with a needle, and give it the once over with an alcohol torch for the micro-bubbles, then it ends up premier. If I act like I'm painting it on and try to be really careful, then less so. 

• Like 1