Squirrel's New Rod Build

Sry haven’t checked in in a while. The “honey do list” amazingly grew by about six million items. Every time i knock off 5 items, there are 15 more to replace them. 

So I have 2 coats of finish epoxy on at this point. One final coat today to make sure everything is nice and smooth and then final cure time. Will be fishable by his birthday on May 6th. Pics to follow. 

• Like 1

Final epoxy coat done and cured. Ready to go, just waiting on my boat guy. f89c737b6074788123e0068bbc8bc3c4.jpg&key=af3ae2ae3714031dd345b9a7cf839abe26fe7980500496a320b605e3a78fe744

f5c8728f7152ed471beaa25ff99e4803.jpg&key=cedacadbb594355f34b292215d82f23fcc7f0b090d7e9d4e8378c44c1c42a266

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tremendous! Looks fantastic! I always hated doing those patterns because it was always such a nuisance to get them to line up perfectly straight. You knocked it out of the park!

Call Me The Teflon Don

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

What did you think of the pro coat ?

I used the following:

ProGlue to hold the grips and butt cap in place

ProPaste for the reel seat

ProKote to finish

My take: All three mixed well, had good working time, were slow to set, easy to clean up with denatured alcohol and were reasonably priced.

I prefer a slow set due to the longer working time. I found the FlexCoat to have a much shorter working time. In other words, it was starting to stiffen as I was working on coating the final wraps. I always allow 24 hours to set properly before I touch it and/or start another coat. To clarify, I leave whatever is left over in the mixing cup, and check THAT for proper set (touching, flexing/bending) as well as leaving the mixing stick in it to test adhesion.  Hasn’t failed me yet lol. 

Overall, I am well pleased with the products used. I would use them again and recommend them to a friend. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Tremendous! Looks fantastic! I always hated doing those patterns because it was always such a nuisance to get them to line up perfectly straight. You knocked it out of the park!

Mud hole sells an alignment jig to make the layout process much easier. 

https://www.mudhole.com//CRB-Butt-Wrap-Alignment-Tool

38 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Looks awesome....makes me want to try another rod just to try the fancier  wrap.

What did you think of the pro coat ?

Do it! As tedious as you may think it is, its also very rewarding. When someone asks you if its painted or ribbon, the look on their face when you tell them its all thread....priceless. 

Mud hole sells an alignment jig to make the layout process much easier. 
https://www.mudhole.com//CRB-Butt-Wrap-Alignment-Tool

Yup got that same one years ago. Think my issue was always using teeny tiny blanks. I used to do it a lot on ice rods. I also have the perfect jigging rod I designed both an ice rod and an open water jigging rod. I'd have to find my sketches I made ages ago. Hoping they're still with my tools but I haven't touched them in probably close to 6 years now

Call Me The Teflon Don

1 minute ago, The Jerkman said:

Yup got that same one years ago. Think my issue was always using teeny tiny blanks. I used to do it a lot on ice rods. I also have the perfect jigging rod I designed both an ice rod and an open water jigging rod. I'd have to find my sketches I made ages ago. Hoping they're still with my tools but I haven't touched them in probably close to 6 years now

Call Me The Teflon Don

Perhaps it is your procedure.

I figure out how long I want the wrap, overall, to determine where I want the under wrap. I use the jig to mark directly onto the under wrap where my intersection points need to be. Once I lay down the first thread (the most important thread because everything else builds off of that one) I put the rod back in the jig and adjust my points as needed so everything is lined up correctly. I use a SS dental pick to move my threads around. 

Not sure if I asked is the pro coat  you used a high build ? 
I personally prefer the low build only because I don't mind doing a few extra coats and it's easier to work with. High Build is easy to apply too much in one go and then you're stuck with blobby epoxy. But I have both and use both depending on application but mostly I stick with the low build.

Call Me The Teflon Don

4 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

I personally prefer the low build only because I don't mind doing a few extra coats and it's easier to work with. High Build is easy to apply too much in one go and then you're stuck with blobby epoxy. But I have both and use both depending on application but mostly I stick with the low build.

Call Me The Teflon Don

Do you spin it with a low speed drying motor? I have never used low build and (knock on wood lol) never had a problem. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Jerkman said:

Nah I've got this one https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/rod-wrappers/280917.aspx

Also definitely do not pour on the epoxy. I use fancy paint brushes and just a very light coat at a time. No bubbles no fuss and come out tremendous

Call Me The Teflon Don

Funny, I have almost the same one. I want to upgrade to the aluminum chuck.