Help with a smart buck

Forest Hunter

I wouldn't tell you not to take a buck that you are so excited about, but he is a young buck... he just happens to have a lot of points... I'm betting he's just 1.5... I am all about hunting experiences and I can tell this would be a big experience for you.. I promise you this deer will come to a grunt call if he's in ear shot.

1. the more time you are in the woods the better your chances . clean all your cloths and yourself .scent free is the key . GOOD LUCK ! persistance will pay off. i have a question for all the hunters that would hold off on killing this buck . what is the size of the first buck that you have shot ?

I'm beyond a firm believer in proper QDM, trust me that's why I've gone without a buck for the last 3 years. I personally would pass, and It's obvious I'm not alone. Now, with that being said, I too can remember my first buck, scrubby basket 7 pointer, I'll never forget it ! I WISH I could have a buck like that for my first ! It's obvious he's not gonna be easy to get, but with all the good advice ur getting, and with a bunch of effort on your part he will be yours. From the time that arrow flys to the time you grab that rack for the first time you will know why we all do this ! I wish you luck, and encourage you to put in some treestand time. He is young, so take advantage of that. You have an idea where he is coming from so try and get yourself half that 1000 yard distance to where he's coming from. I would get yourself a grunt tube and some scrape scent, make a scrape within shootin range and wait. If the wind is right and you see him but he's out of range, hit that grunt tube and he will most likely come see what's up. Don't over call though as he will get wise quick. And if you feel like your doing something wrong, u probably are.

I wish you the best, put your time in and ask more questions if you have them, us sportsmen are all here to help ! Stick that sucker !

I agree with you bainbridge that for a 1st buck he should go ahead and take it. The more time he spends in DIFFERENT woods his chances will go up. The more time you spend in one woods, your chances go down pretty quick after the 1st sit in a particular stand. JMO I would be more concerned about entry exit and wind than being scent free as that is not really possible w/their noses.

Only in NY would that deer be considered a monster, jmo. :D Would make a nice first deer though. My 1st deer at 14 yrs old was a doe with the recurve followed by a spike and a basket 8 with the sticks and twigs the following yrs. Remeber them all just like it was yesterday. Love the split brows, if you get him this yr good, if not, hold onto your hat when he comes in next yr.

It's always a dance in setting up on a target animal and not alerting him to your presence. Are you seeing directional sign coming out of a bedding area? What I mean by that is rubs coming out of what you believe to be his bedding area headed toward what you believe to be his primary food source at this time? Shortly the bucks will be moving much more and your focus will be setting up down wind of doe bedding area's and doe travel routes. Do your absolute best to stay down wind of where you think he is or will be. The same goes for the doe bedding area's and travel routes.

It is most often advisable to hunt from the outside in. Starting further away from where you think a buck is bedded. Say half away between his bed and where he is headed to feed. (afternoon hunt) If you are not seeing him during shooting light you would be moving progressively closer to his bedding area,not so close that he could see you or hear you though.

Again with chasing about to begin it should be a bit easier but not as predictable. I wish you good luck! That is a fine buck to take as a first buck!

Get after him! I would try to get in closer to that bedding area. Be quiet and have as little impact going in and out as possible. The young bucks seem to love coming in to calls also, but I always space my calls out by 15-45 minutes. Too much calling will make him weary. If you don't get him this year, he will be a beautiful buck next year! He appears to be a 1.5 year old with fantastic genetics. Loving those brow tines...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care what that buck MIGHT grow into, he's a mighty fine buck right now. Chances are pretty good that most of the guys telling you to let him walk probably would shoot him if they had the chance. You'll just never hear about it....... lol.

• 1 month later...

Since your a new hunter now is the time to start a hunt dairy, put in the times of rubs,sightings and scrapes also weather conditions moon phase and if I leave out anything maybe someone else can add to it .This has been one of the most valuable assets I have used in all my years of hunting and it can be yours too if you choose to do it ! Good luck next year and never give up because when you least expect it ,,,, BAM it all comes together.......DEER DOWN !!

Do not be discouraged by the fact that he's not posing for your camera since rifle season began. I haven't gotten a picture of any buck since gun season began (day or night). That doesn't mean they are all dead.

As was just said, write down everything about this buck that you can remember. If he has made it through, he will be repeating a lot of the patterns that he established this year. You might be able to get an early start on him next year.

• 4 weeks later...

HE MUST HAVE MADE IT!

I was strolling along in the woods. I got a blind for christmas so i thought i would try it out, i walked out near the edge of where i knew where deer were bedded during hunting seasons. As i set the bag down with the blind it it i saw a deer jump up what must have been 10 feet in the air. It looked like a big doe and it jumped up only 30 feet away. I left the bag with the blind in it behind and i walked over and there was a small overhang that the deer must have been bedding in. There was a HUGE oak that fell and the roots got ripped up and made a little hidey hole for the deer. THEN I SAW THE SHEDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i looked and as soon as i looked at the tines i knew it was this guy, im not 100% sure that deer i saw was him but i have a good hunch. The tines looked a little chewed from a squirrel or something like that but i saw the split brow tines so i knew it ws this deer's.

I set up my blind maybe 75 yards from the bed and mayve 3 hours later i saw a deer walking to the bed. I picked up my binoculars and saw that on the deers head you could definatly tell it was a buck by the curly hair on its forehead and the healing holes on his head. It must have smelled me by the bed since it licked its nose and knew something was up.Now i know that there is a good chance this smart ass buck made it through for next year.

just wanna say good luck next year with that buck. me personally i would have shot it i know plenty of guys who have never even shot a buck and if u get the shot whos to say u would get another chance. i had a huge 10 pt a few years ago during bow walk by all he gave me a shot at 40 yds so i waited and after that all he gave me was a questionable shot at 20 yrds so i passed and never seen it again till spring turkey found him 10 yrds from my stand dead all that was left was bones at least i have his skull and antlers would rather of had his meat a shame he went to waste. but im rambling long story short i would take it to me any buck is a trophy to me in fact any deer is a trophy to me thanks