Just finished mounting my first gobbler

SteveNY

• 3 months later...

Looks great Steve! Did you have to lay out and glue the feathers individualy or cut off a clump of the rump and treat it with borax?

My fan mounts always got hung in the barn and never made it to the house that's why I ask. My taxi skills aren't anything to brag about,lol

Looks great Steve! Did you have to lay out and glue the feathers individualy or cut off a clump of the rump and treat it with borax?

My fan mounts always got hung in the barn and never made it to the house that's why I ask. My taxi skills aren't anything to brag about,lol

I started by cutting off the whole load of feathers and the meat that holds them together. I removed as much flesh and fat as I could and salted it up really well with blended salt. I redid the salt every couple days for about a week and a half. At this point, even tho I removed as much flesh and fat as I possibly could, the quills were still very oily and I was just not happy with it.

At this point I started rethinking how I was going to go about this, because I wanted it to last and and keep it indoors.

I played with a few ideas and looked around online at other methods. I decided to pluck all the feathers out and keep them in order so they didn't get all mixed up. I used 3 layers of feathers.

Once I got the wood plaque mount I saw there was a metal plate behind it with screws to clamp down on the feathers. I decided to go with a hot glue gun and some glue sticks.

I realized that the glue and feathers were not going to stick well to the metal backing on the plaque, so I cut a piece of thin cardboard, about the size of the metal backing.

I laid out the first row of feathers (the longest ones) face up, with the quills on the cardboard, all nice and even, then glued the quills and the cardboard together. I made half circle arcs of glue lines along the quills (think rainbow shape). The glue is dried in 20-30 seconds.

Then did the next 2 rows of feathers just the same.

At this point I basically had a tailfan mount glued to a piece of cardboard.

I put the cardboard/feathers in between the plaque wood and the metal backing, screwed the backing onto the plaque, attached the beard where it goes, and voila, my first Tail Fan Mount!

You can shoot a turkey in the morning and have him on the wall that afternoon. Literally can be done in an hour or less.

Forget the salting and the borax, never again will I deal with that mess. This is def the way to go.

• Like 1

You did a super nice job. That is the way to mount the tail. Was never to keen on the salt way either. Had one in the freezer for about 3 years now. Don't even know if it's any good. Don't know if it any good? Maybe try. Thanks for posting and info.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Looks real good,nice job and step by step.

NAHC is sending me the http://masterofskulls.com/store/details.php?prodId=58&category=10&secondary=&keywords= for a test product....now IF I can connect with a bird and make it look as nice as yours,I will be happy. Thats one helluva tail ya got.

Edited by Single_shot

• 11 months later...

I started by cutting off the whole load of feathers and the meat that holds them together. I removed as much flesh and fat as I could and salted it up really well with blended salt. I redid the salt every couple days for about a week and a half. At this point, even tho I removed as much flesh and fat as I possibly could, the quills were still very oily and I was just not happy with it.

At this point I started rethinking how I was going to go about this, because I wanted it to last and and keep it indoors.

I played with a few ideas and looked around online at other methods. I decided to pluck all the feathers out and keep them in order so they didn't get all mixed up. I used 3 layers of feathers.

Once I got the wood plaque mount I saw there was a metal plate behind it with screws to clamp down on the feathers. I decided to go with a hot glue gun and some glue sticks.

I realized that the glue and feathers were not going to stick well to the metal backing on the plaque, so I cut a piece of thin cardboard, about the size of the metal backing.

I laid out the first row of feathers (the longest ones) face up, with the quills on the cardboard, all nice and even, then glued the quills and the cardboard together. I made half circle arcs of glue lines along the quills (think rainbow shape). The glue is dried in 20-30 seconds.

Then did the next 2 rows of feathers just the same.

At this point I basically had a tailfan mount glued to a piece of cardboard.

I put the cardboard/feathers in between the plaque wood and the metal backing, screwed the backing onto the plaque, attached the beard where it goes, and voila, my first Tail Fan Mount!

You can shoot a turkey in the morning and have him on the wall that afternoon. Literally can be done in an hour or less.

Forget the salting and the borax, never again will I deal with that mess. This is def the way to go.

im gonna try that.... where did you get the kit?