Tuning a Prime bow

BKhunter

Interesting. I would have thought originally you are a little underspined,but your chart shows the opposite. 

Generally you are better of overspined than underspined.

I shoot a 300 spine arrow at 29.5 DL out of a 60# 330 IBO bow,but i have a little over 200 grains up front. Total arrow weight is 525 .

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

Interesting. I would have thought originally you are a little underspined,but your chart shows the opposite. 

Generally you are better of overspined than underspined.

I shoot a 300 spine arrow at 29.5 DL out of a 60# 330 IBO bow,but i have a little over 200 grains up front. Total arrow weight is 525 .

With that, I will try playing around with the rest a little more tonight and see how it goes.

• Like 1

The bow is a  standard prime centergy ? I went and looked up the specs and it looks like prime didn’t make a bow with a  8.5 inch brace height you have it listed in your pinwheel app as 8.5..
http://www.g5prime.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2019_PrimeHunting_brochure_web.pdf

That number jumped out at me too, 8.5 is unheard of anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BKhunter said:

Yea I have these entries
ed2449f6493769128c15bf1a4d4ced28.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok the numbers I entered were not what you have here. I guessed with %70 let off instead of 80. And insert weight was different cause those numbers weren’t given to me . Also there’s a bunch of FMJ arrows so I just picked one . 

15 hours ago, rob-c said:

The bow is a  standard prime centergy ? I went and looked up the specs and it looks like prime didn’t make a bow with a  8.5 inch brace height you have it listed in your pinwheel app as 8.5..

http://www.g5prime.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2019_PrimeHunting_brochure_web.pdf

I may have fat fingered that. Just re-ran the app with 6.5 as the brace height and it came back as under spined. The arrow does sit pretty far out from the rest so I ran another calculation cutting an inch off which helps a little. I think best thing to do here is build a new arrow set up and start from scratch. Hope to keep you guys tuned. I was looking at the axis arrows, but they look sold out. Any other suggestions for this set up. FMJ are nice but not sure if I should try something new.

15 minutes ago, BKhunter said:

I may have fat fingered that. Just re-ran the app with 6.5 as the brace height and it came back as under spined. The arrow does sit pretty far out from the rest so I ran another calculation cutting an inch off which helps a little. I think best thing to do here is build a new arrow set up and start from scratch. Hope to keep you guys tuned. I was looking at the axis arrows, but they look sold out. Any other suggestions for this set up. FMJ are nice but not sure if I should try something new.

Is that with the 125 or 100 tip? Thats another quick way to cheat some spine when testing is to add or reduce tip weight. 

3 minutes ago, BKhunter said:

Hunting or target? Or both? Ive shot probably every brand and theyre all good, my latest are Gold Tip but theyre fat shafts for 3D. I hunt with Victory VForce HV and like them a lot

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Hunting or target? Or both? Ive shot probably every brand and theyre all good, my latest are Gold Tip but theyre fat shafts for 3D. I hunt with Victory VForce HV and like them a lot

I'm a bow hunter so I want my set up for hunting.

You could turn your bow down also to get your arrows to work that you have now. Plenty of guys killing deer with 60-65 lb set ups. 
Just a suggestion but have you checked you cam timing on the bow ? With your draw board it would  be easy and it’s always were I start my tuning. I Found some good YouTube videos on this for prime bows. 

5 minutes ago, rob-c said:

You could turn your bow down also to get your arrows to work that you have now. Plenty of guys killing deer with 60-65 lb set ups. 
Just a suggestion but have you checked you cam timing on the bow ? With your draw board it would  be easy and it’s always were I start my tuning. I Found some good YouTube videos on this for prime bows. 

Yes, all seems to be in good order with that. I like drawing 70# so I would prefer to keep it there. 

Edited by BKhunter

12 minutes ago, BKhunter said:

Yes, all seems to be in good order with that.

Ok good. For your paper tuning try using newspaper so you can tell better on tip and nock sides of the tear. If you have to, steal the wife’s red lip stick and apply some to the field tip. One very crucial thing in paper tuning is it will show weak form , one must be dead set on great form. I’ve tried to help friends paper tune and no matter what adjustments are made we would get a bad tear. I would shoot  the bow and we would see a improvement  or a bullet hole . Just some thing to remember if one is pulling their hair out. So if you can have a buddy shoot your bow  it may be telling if you can’t get a good tear in your paper and he does. Not saying you have bad form just throwing it out there as you said your new to tuning. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Ok good. For your paper tuning try using newspaper so you can tell better on tip and nock sides of the tear. If you have to, steal the wife’s red lip stick and apply some to the field tip. One very crucial thing in paper tuning is it will show weak form , one must be dead set on great form. I’ve tried to help friends paper tune and no matter what adjustments are made we would get a bad tear. I would shoot  the bow and we would see a improvement  or a bullet hole . Just some thing to remember if one is pulling their hair out. So if you can have a buddy shoot your bow  it may be telling if you can’t get a good tear in your paper and he does. Not saying you have bad form just throwing it out there as you said your new to tuning. 

I agree I believe my form is good, but you never know. Even with all the issues I am finding I was still shooting field point into a pie plate at 50-60 yards. Really looking forward to seeing how all this work improves my groups. I just ordered some arrows and am hoping to build them and tune the bow correctly. Seems like I am on hold though for a few.

• Like 1