First bird dog

ATbuckhunter

I posted it in the dog thread, but in December im getting my first bird dog...what things would you suggest I get (besides the leash, collar, food...etc). The breed is a small munsterlander which is one of the versitile dog breeds. The dog will be a house dog incase that makes a difference. I know I need to get a kennel, a pen, check cord,  and some type of gps, maybe a shock collar and neoprene vest, but what else should I get hunting related. Ill be doing a mix of a little grouse, pheasant, waterfowl and when needed some deer tracking. Any and all suggestions welcomed

3 minutes ago, airedale said:

For the activities you are wanting to try I think looking into the North American Versatile Hunting Dog outfit would be a good place to start and get you pointed in the right direction.

Al

https://www.navhda.org/

One of the sipulations of the contract I signed was to make sure I test the dog in a natural ability test

Breeding and natural ability are high on my list when it comes to a hunting dog. An animal's genetic makeup will determine it's hunting potential. How much of that potential good or bad that is actually achieved depends on the environment to which the dog is exposed. The definition of environment pertaining to this subject is how the dog is taken care of and fed, it's training and handling, and exposure to the game that is to be hunted.

Al

• Like 1

One of the sipulations of the contract I signed was to make sure I test the dog in a natural ability test

I loved my time with NAVHDA...such great knowledgeable people who were selfless with their time and wisdom.

Gets my Britt’s Natural ability scorecard

bd3de86fed2244f4dd9a2118a6657e81.jpg&key=5c1fc5fd044ecd6c829fca3e810a00023e2af73d48eb64e46c3073acceb1768e

If I recall he scored enough points for a level I prize but he caught a bird on the flush(wet grass and quail were barely getting up) so a level I was not possible. Such a fun time at Stewart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I loved my time with NAVHDA...such great knowledgeable people who were selfless with their time and wisdom.

Gets my Britt’s Natural ability scorecard

bd3de86fed2244f4dd9a2118a6657e81.jpg&key=5c1fc5fd044ecd6c829fca3e810a00023e2af73d48eb64e46c3073acceb1768e

If I recall he scored enough points for a level I prize but he caught a bird on the flush(wet grass and quail were barely getting up) so a level I was not possible. Such a fun time at Stewart

This was the Rock Tavern chapter?

This was the Rock Tavern chapter?

Yup...they were great. Would always send me home with dead birds to continue tracking practice or someone would always offer up a live pigeon or quail to keep working in my backyard. You are gonna get me in trouble with the Mrs ...I need another one!!!

• Like 1

Yup...they were great. Would always send me home with dead birds to continue tracking practice or someone would always offer up a live pigeon or quail to keep working in my backyard. You are gonna get me in trouble with the Mrs ...I need another one!!!

Might as well since we got all the free time lol

I personally don't approve of a Shock Collar on a Hunting Dog. That would be my Tip. Being a Hardcore Pheasant Hunter, I have seen Dogs in the Field that were a little far from the owner do a Half Jump + Spin after being Shocked by the Owner.  Some will Yelp out in Pain and stay frozen to the Spot. I end up Staring Daggers at the Guy who comes over.    Good Loving Training with much time put in over a Shock Collar.

If a dog jumps and yelps the owner AINT DOING IT RIGHT and had become lazy, frustrated and aggressive by waving an iron fist over his dog from a distance.
Shock collars are great reinforcement tools and was as much as a safety tool for my pup .

We would walk the woods by my house which are paralleled by a highway. Deer were the kryptonite to any obedience training. Inevitably those deer would run toward the parkway when he got on them. It is about the only time I had to “turn up the heat” on his collar.

• Like 3

a

8 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Shock collars are great reinforcement tools and was as much as a safety tool for my pup .

I have been training hunting dogs for over 50 years and I believe the electronic training collar and the key is "when used properly" is the single greatest training device a dog trainer can have in their arsenal. Be well educated in their proper use before putting one on your dog.

Al

• Like 2

No Man-- this is one Subject we will never agree on!!! I don't feel like getting into a big back + forth with you on Youth Turkey. Let it end here..

No argument from me - an improperly used shocked collar is just a way for an owner to be cruel. No use of a shock collar will take away the love and care and training required. It’s funny though my Britt would perk up when he saw that collar come out-that collar meant woods, game, birds, hunting! He would throw himself in between my knees, sit down and turn around forcing me to put it on!
I just want to make sure AT (and any new dog owner peeking in here) has both sides of the shock collar issue.
I respect your opinion on this matter BillyBoy!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

a
I have been training hunting dogs for over 50 years and I believe the electronic training collar and the key is "when used properly" is the single greatest training device a dog trainer can have in their arsenal. Be well educated in their proper use before putting one on your dog.
Al

Have you ever shocked yourself?!? I felt so bad initially about using one that I needed to know what he was going to feel before input it on him. I would describe level 7-8 (hottest I ever needed and used only when he was going to be in danger) as a strong pinch. The normal level 3-4 was more like a “poke”
The beeper ended up being used more than the shock...Trico was such a smart dog he would correct even if he saw me reach for the clicker!

For the activities you are wanting to try I think looking into the North American Versatile Hunting Dog outfit would be a good place to start and get you pointed in the right direction. There are quite a few NY chapters.
Al
https://www.navhda.org/

There is my breeder is out of the one that uses Stewart

If a dog jumps and yelps the owner AINT DOING IT RIGHT and had become lazy, frustrated and aggressive by waving an iron fist over his dog from a distance.

We would walk the woods by my house which are paralleled by a highway. Deer were the kryptonite to any obedience training. Inevitably those deer would run toward the parkway when he got on them. It is about the only time I had to “turn up the heat” on his collar.

Agreed, I use the lowest setting the dog will feel. I will say we had one incident where my wife accidentally turned on the bark option. The dog went to drink water which triggered the bark collar. It got so intense he started up yelp and run around which made it worse. My wife learned to be more careful and the dog was weaned back onto the collar and is fine

No argument from me - an improperly used shocked collar is just a way for an owner to be cruel. No use of a shock collar will take away the love and care and training required. It’s funny though my Britt would perk up when he saw that collar come out-that collar meant woods, game, birds, hunting! He would throw himself in between my knees, sit down and turn around forcing me to put it on!
I just want to make sure AT (and any new dog owner peeking in here) has both sides of the shock collar issue.

This is true too. The best thing for AT to understand is to get a shot collar with a tone option. After a while you never even have to shock just use the tone.

• Like 1

I had great success with the shock collar.  I did a lot of research and followed the instructions on training with it to a T.  Once he was trained I rarely if ever had to use the shock.  I used the vibration.   And when the collar came on he would listed extra well.  One “come” and he was running to my feet.  

• Like 1

Sometimes all you have to do is a complete restart (reboot) from scratch which may include removing the batteries and starting over. The best collars are Garmin or Tri-tronics and like Airedale says the go to for collar repairs is

"the collar clinic". They also have a trade-in policy where you can trade a old or defective one in on a new unit but they don't give much on a trade in.

• Like 1

Slip lead

Jaeger lead

Retrieving bumpers

Blank pistol 

Bird bag to hold live birds

E collar. Some have GPS combined

Beeper collar for when the dog points where you can’t see it. 
Bell for the collar if desired

First aid kit for the field for the dog not you

Live Birds like pigeon, quail or chukar, build a pen to keep them in

Access to land to train on

Access to water to train in

Whistle

Money to fund training, it’s not a cheap hobby

Navhda membership, comes with the green bible (book on training)

Attend a collar clinic to learn proper use of ecollar or try to view online

I wouldn’t bother with a vest for the dog, not needed imo. 

Other forums will be more suited for dog training though use in moderation as with any internet based subject because everyone is an expert even when they aren’t. 

Last but not least you will need patience and time 

• Like 2

Slip lead
Jaeger lead
Retrieving bumpers
Blank pistol 
Whistle

Other forums will be more suited for dog training though use in moderation as with any internet based subject because everyone is an expert even when they aren’t. 

Holy $Hit!!!! I have had most all that list and FORGOT how much I needed (and spent)I also built a training table in the back yard with a ramp which was invaluable for teaching “whoa” and a place to clip his lead for haircut time and nail clipping

8 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Holy $Hit!!!! I have had most all that list and FORGOT how much I needed (and spent)I also built a training table in the back yard with a ramp which was invaluable for teaching “whoa” and a place to clip his lead for haircut time and nail clipping

I knew I forgot something, the table! 

3 hours ago, crappyice said:

Ive done a lot of research on the subject and I do agree that it can be an asset like everything else if used properly. Thankfully there are videos of the proper use of it on youtube as well as a friend that knows how to use them. That friend has had hunting dogs his whole life (has 13 dogs right now) and Ive hunted behind his dogs so I know he knows how to train them right. Only reason im not buying a dog from him is im a bit dead set on the breed I got. Although I did think of getting a GSP for a bit.

35 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Slip lead

Jaeger lead

Retrieving bumpers

Blank pistol 

Whistle

Perfect! Thank you. I was thinking of the neoprene vest for duck hunting in december and january. 

23 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Do you have any pictures of the training table?