Yukon Territory sheep

Reading Trail153's awesome adventure in Newfoundland inspired me to post pics from my Yukon sheep hunt from last year.

I hunted the end of September into early October. The weather was surprisingly pleasant. The temps only fell into low teens overnight and warmed into the 40s during the day. I was lucky to shoot a fannin "stone" ram on the second day of the hunt. I'm told that he is one of the largest & oldest rams ever shot in the Yukon. 14 + years. Spent the rest of the 10 day hunt looking for a grizzly. We saw bears but nothing large enough to shoot. Pictured are myself and my guide Grant. Grant is a great guy to spend time with on a once in a lifetime hunt. Also are pics from my new friends from Wisconsin with their Alaska Yukon moose. Everyone of them were over 60". One of the other hunters shot a nice grizz and another took a beautiful Mountain Caribou.

I'm saving all my loose change so I can go back again.

My ram bedded on the peak.JPG

Yukon sheep hunt.JPG

Grant with my ram.JPG

John Straka.jpeg

Yukon moose, Blackstone Outfitters 2019. John, Roger & Gary.jpg

Yukon sheep hunt home on the Hart River.JPG

Looking back.JPG

Yukon snow capped mountains.JPG

• Like 19

Awesome! I would love to get a sheep someday. All these out of state hunt stories have me reminiscing and reading my old stories on the forum. I haven't been out west or canada since 2014. Curious on your sheep, did you draw a tag? win a raffle for the tag? or just buy it straight up? Is that your only sheep- if so, which one will go for next?

4 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Awesome! I would love to get a sheep someday. All these out of state hunt stories have me reminiscing and reading my old stories on the forum. I haven't been out west or canada since 2014. Curious on your sheep, did you draw a tag? win a raffle for the tag? or just buy it straight up? Is that your only sheep- if so, which one will go for next?

Outfitters in Canada are allotted a specific number of tags for a period of time based on population surveys. In the Yukon, a hunter only needs to hire an outfitter that has tags available for the species that he wants to hunt. No draw, or lottery. A non-resident can not hunt in Canada without hiring an outfitter.There are opportunities to enter a raffle for a sheep hunt. A friend of mine did this 4 years ago and won a $40,000.00 Stone Sheep hunt in the Yukon  with a $200.00 entry ticket. That hunt still cost him $20,000.00 after the unexpected add on expenses. Commercial plane flights, charter flights, hotels before and after the hunt, taxidermy, and guide tips. He also shot a beautiful Alaska Yukon moose on a trophy fee basis for an additional $8,000.00.  Unfortunately these hunts are out of reach for most hunter these days. I bit the bullet and said the hell with it and went anyway and did it before i am not physically able to anymore.

I was told that once you go sheep hunting, it obsesses you and that's all you think about.  They were right. I have been applying for Desert Bighorn and Rocky Mountain Bighorn for many years in different states. Unfortunately the odds are extremely low to draw a tag.  

I would be divorced if my wife knew the cost of some of these hunts :taunt:

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, catskillkid said:

Outfitters in Canada are allotted a specific number of tags for a period of time based on population surveys. In the Yukon, a hunter only needs to hire an outfitter that has tags available for the species that he wants to hunt. No draw, or lottery. A non-resident can not hunt in Canada without hiring an outfitter.There are opportunities to enter a raffle for a sheep hunt. A friend of mine did this 4 years ago and won a $40,000.00 Stone Sheep hunt in the Yukon  with a $200.00 entry ticket. That hunt still cost him $20,000.00 after the unexpected add on expenses. Commercial plane flights, charter flights, hotels before and after the hunt, taxidermy, and guide tips. He also shot a beautiful Alaska Yukon moose on a trophy fee basis for an additional $8,000.00.  Unfortunately these hunts are out of reach for most hunter these days. I bit the bullet and said the hell with it and went anyway and did it before i am not physically able to anymore.

I was told that once you go sheep hunting, it obsesses you and that's all you think about.  They were right. I have been applying for Desert Bighorn and Rocky Mountain Bighorn for many years in different states. Unfortunately the odds are extremely low to draw a tag.  

I would be divorced if my wife knew the cost of some of these hunts :taunt:

Yea, I hear ya. I always see those "<1 sheep club" t-shirts lol. Years ago I hunted alberta for wolf (2008 if i remember right) and you couldn't hunt sundays. So on Sunday, the guide took us to a mine where there were huge rams- several booners. I forget the name of the mine / mountain, but I was staying in near Hinton. Anyway, I was amazed at seeing them up close. If i remember right, they were bighorn?

The guy I shot my mt. lion with (Wade Eckel) in Arizona helped guide a guy to the AZ State Record desert bighorn. Or at least it was the record at one time- not sure if it was broken. I seen some beautiful rams there too.

I buy PP's for elk, deer, and antelope in Wyoming each year but never the sheep. However, some years I apply for the supertag for sheep. Would be cool to win a raffle like that!

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld