Broad heads

Culvercreek hunt club

I have used Snuffers (cut on contact, three-blade) for many years after starting out with Bear Razorheads, Hilbre, Razorbacks, Satellites, Deadheads, Savoras (three and four-blade) Rocky Mts., Thunderheads, Muzzy, and I can't remember a few others...

I don't suppose you ever bought some of those Browning Serpentine heads (We used to call them "apple-corers....lol). That was probably the wackiest head I ever saw. I had a few of those Hilbre heads, but was turned off by the plastic body. Never had one break, but I never trusted them. I think I have killed more deer with the Bear Razorheads than any other head. In fact a couple of years back, I dragged out a bunch of them, sharpened them up and took a nice doe. I have quite a collection of broadheads myself stuck away in a box (many of which are no longer made). It's interesting to look back and see what the hot set-up was at various times. I saw a guy at the National Hunting & Fishing days at Avon a few years back that had an amazing collection of broadheads. He had quite a few big glass faced, plywood cases full of rows and rows of everything you could imagine as far as broadheads go. It was pretty impressive to see all those different designs in one display. A pile of money has been spend on broadhead R&D over the years, but some of them survived strictly on marketing techniques.

I still remember the image in Serpentine ad...I think it had an apple with a funky hole cut in it like the Serpentine would make... at least the artist thought so... B)

I never bought any, but I wish I did, they do have some collectible value now.

Roger Rothhaar sent me my first box of Snuffers in 1978. I still have the box, it is from the Tool and Die company he worked for at the time. And he made the heads himself.

Not only is he the originator in print of hunting whitetail bucks over scrapes, he came up with the broadhead design of the Snuffer, which the Wensel Woodsman heads and the G5 Montecs are knockoffs of...

I like the design because of the ease of sharpening, once you have the knack and the incredible lethal effectiveness of the heads.

But I killed my first 10 or so deer mostly with Bear Razorheads...some sans "bleeder blade." Because I was told the heads would fly better without it. But I did manage to kill a couple deer with the Hilbre. It is a "nylon" ferrule I believe. That was about impossible to sharpen!

Hunting heads have come a long way since those days, course so have the bows. Back then it was recurves...and some of us hunted with long bows. I saw my first compound bow at an archery shop... about 1976. I resisted for 20 years until my shoulder went!

Buckstops here,thanks for posting, you have a lot of knowledge,thanks for sharing it.

BTW I have a friend who has 1/2 of Glen St.Charles's work bench along with some of his tools.He's a friend of the St.Charles family and past pres. of Wash. state bow hunters group.

I got to meet them at the first Pope and Young museum, at his bow shop North West Archery, years ago !

I have shot three deer with rage 2 blade broadheads. The last one bled out directly in front of my brush blind @ only 10 feet. He started to wobble and finally expired 3 feet away from my blind. Also this is my 1st year bow hunting and started right off with a PSE X-Force Axe7 bottomed out at 74 lbs and my arrows are Beman ICS Hunter [email protected] gpi(375 grains total with broadhead). All have passed through and died with in sight. I may never pick up another firearm.