Deer Search

scobar

WNY area 716.648.4335

Finger Lakes area 585.935.5220

If the shot is in any way questionable don't go looking, don't even go to to the hit site, just wait then sneek out of there. If you call us with this type of information there is 95% chance we'll come out, and it allways produces an extremly higher rate of recovery.

GOOD LUCK !

Edited by scobar

If you call us with this type of information there is 95% chance we'll come out, and it allways produces an extremly higher rate of recovery.

What you guys do is good, but I have a hard time believing you get to 95% of the people that call on you. If this forum is just a small sample of how many people wound deer out there and then want to call you, you guys would be working 24/7. I can't imagine that there are too many dogs and handlers out there doing this either.

WNY area 716.648.4335

If the shot is in any way questionable don't go looking, don't even go to to the hit site, just wait then sneek out of there. If you call us with this type of information there is 95% chance we'll come out, and it allways produces an extremly higher rate of recovery.

GOOD LUCK !

Does deer search operate in the southern part of the state at all?

My dad hit one high in the shoulder late muzzle last year, left him overnight that tracked him for miles, yes miles. Called big game recovery and they brought the dogs. We had got 8" of fresh snow but the dog still get on blood no prob. We knew we would have to shoot him again but signs looked good, till we got politely asked to get the bleep* off someone's unposted property. We had no choice but to give up.regardless, It was amazing on how easy the dog did his job and how friendly the tracker was. Great guys doing great things, if u can, use them cause it can make the difference !

I used Deer search a couple years ago after I hit a buck a little further back than wanted (guts and liver shot). I watched the deer stand in the field for 20 minutes humped up and then walk in the woods. It got dark and I gave him 4 hours and then started to look. I found good blood where I shot him and hair. I went to the last place I saw him on the woodline and found blood. I followed it for 200 yards (marking the trail with ribbon) and the blood got to the point where it was BB size drops. I called it quits for the night. I called Deer search in the morning and the guy met me with his dog mid afternoon. We went to the spot, I showed him the arrow, and he checked the hair. Informing me that it was a low paunch shot that probably caught the liver. Mean while the dog (daschound) was sniffing the area where I shot the deer. He let the dog smell the arrow and where the deer was standing for a few minutes and off they went. The dog never followed the blood trail I had marked the night before and at one point was 75-100 yards off the trail! Next thing you know the dog was barking and the guide said there he is! The experience was absolutely amazing and I would highly recommend it to anyone who thinks they wounded a deer. Best of all it is free! They do ask for a donation, which I graciously gave. If you are in doubt, call.

WNY area 716.648.4335

GOOD LUCK !

How many guys and dogs are on the stanby? Lets say in WNY??

I just used them today on a one lung and liver hit. There was good blood for about 150 yds the 2 bb size drops. They met me at 10 am and the little dachshound found him 50 minutes later. The handler was a woman out of Liverpool NY. The little dachshound did a great job. She told me they can track them even after a rain storm. I was impressed!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

The lady handler said they follow the blood and can pick that deer out of a herd. She said they find the deer alive sometimes and she has permission from DEC to dispatch the deer. Before she started tracking the deer she has to notify the DEC what area she will be working in. They need the county,town and nearest crossroads to get permission from the DEC. I hope this helps incase you need them.

yukonhunter, thanks and that was a great 8point, glad we could help. I see some replays to my original note on backing out from a marginal hit. YES if you do that we will come 95% of the time. The biggest reason is the hunter or hunters have not tracked all over trying to recover the deer themselves. When you go looking you are spreeding the deer trail every which way which, the dog now has to try a figure out which trial in the right one. I think you can see what I'm talking about. Great dogs follow the blood to figure out the innerdigital sent of that particular deer. Once they have the gland sent, that is what they are actually following, because as you say there was no more blood.

Youcon, did it all right with regards to a marginal hit, waited 2 hours backed out and called deer search. He took us to the hit site for the first time and 20 minutes later he had his deer.

www.deersearch.org

Edited by scobar

I just used them today on a one lung and liver hit. There was good blood for about 150 yds the 2 bb size drops. They met me at 10 am and the little dachshound found him 50 minutes later. The handler was a woman out of Liverpool NY. The little dachshound did a great job. She told me they can track them even after a rain storm. I was impressed!!!!!!!!!!

Good to know, I live right in Cicero, and was wondering if they operated at all right here in CNY. The number is now saved in my phone.

I'm in westwrn NY and not familiar with other chapters East of here, There is a finger lakes chapter, western NY cahpter and one in the central part of the state. visit the web site....better yet start a new chapter, it's a ball helping other bow hunters and the information you learn from actullay seeing real hits, what the deer did is, what it didn't too has educated me in a few years, way more than my previous 30 years of bow hunting. Being a member I will guareentee it will make you a more educated and more satisfied bow hunter

Any dog with a will to track can be used. The dog I use is a mix breed and she's great!

Edited by scobar