Put one on the ground this morning

WNYBuckHunter

I was in my stand this morning, planning on being in for just a few hours. It was beautiful out, cold, calm, crisp and I was enjoying the sound of the creek when the darn blackbirds started coming in. Those things drive me nuts! I decided after 20 mins or so of hearing them right above my head, that I was going to go do some still hunting and scouting instead. I lowered my bow down, got my pack on, removed my safety strap and hooked up to my prussik and stepped onto the ladder sticks. Just as I did that, I looked to my left and there were 2 bucks working a scrape line that goes right by my stand. Shoot! I knew I had to be quiet getting down, so I did my best not to make any mistakes. I got to the ground and got my pack off and unhooked my bow from my line and nocked an arrow. I looked over the brush and saw that they were headed my way. I moved down my entry trail to a point where it turns out and into the tractor lane, and hid behind the brush, watching and waiting for one of the deer to step into the lane I had. I could hear the deer walking and breathing, not 10 yards from me on the other side of the brush. He actually started freshening up a scrape and the other deer was with him. I knew one was a decent 2 1/2 and the other was a 1 1/2, and I could see the 2 1/2 walking behind the scraping 1 1/2, so I figured he would step into the lane first. I drew back and held just waiting, not paying attention to anything but my 20 yard pin. I saw the vitals in my sight, grunted and let the arrow fly. It nicked a branch and then thwack! I saw the deer that had stepped into the lane was the smaller one, and that the arrow had hit back due to the branch. He fell over and got back up and started coming right towards me. At about 6 feet, I stood up and yelled, causing him to change direction and he started off the way he came. I stepped out to look and the other buck, which was a nice 3 1/2 year old 8 I saw a week and a half ago was staring at the whole scene. As soon as he saw me and his little buddy caught up to him, he was off as well. I could see that my arrow had cut his belly open and caught the liver. Everything was hanging out as he ran away. The blood looks like someone painted it out there. My daughter and I tracked him down and found him bedded about 100 yards from where I shot him. I am letting him expire now and will go back out to get him in a couple of hours.

Hes not the big one I was hoping for but its meat in the freezer, and after 2 years of no deer during bow season, it feels good to have that monkey off my back. Cant wait to have my heart sammy tonight!

Awesome man!! Great story....I can only imagine how much adrenaline was flowing as you waited behind that brush! Looking forward to the pictures.

Yeah it was pretty intense. Never shot a deer from the ground before, let alone at 10 yards. I think ill be doing more ground hunting with my bow in the future.

It will be good to go come shotgun season.Thats where mine is waiting for me!! I will be back down to letchworth for some bow and shotgun and that scent will be put to the test again!!! If you still have an antlerless tag or a doe tag get back out there and try that scent...You might not like what you see come running in without a buck tag in your pocket though!!! Use at your own risk!! lol