How to move a gun safe ?

JimR

I will be purchasing a gun safe very soon and would like to save the $ 200.00 my local delivery company charges to pick one up and put it where I want it in my home. How hard are these things to manuever ? Mine will be in the 500 - 600 lb range., and will need to go down 4 stairs. I can borrow a pick-up , and would gladly rent an appiance dolly, if it would be usefull. Any ideas ?

You could rent one and do it with the help of some very strong buddies.

I would use a cart like this

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?pq=refrigerator+moving+cart&hl=en&sugexp=kjrmc&cp=13&gs_id=12&xhr=t&q=appliance+dolly&biw=1283&bih=654&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&wrapid=tljp1320683884546016&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2784068014430948089&sa=X&ei=IQq4Tv2MGIGq2gWxy9jMDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CHkQ8gIwAw#

Th extra wheels really help when rolling to balance it. Just make sure to mearuse EVERYTHING. Door clearances and turning. The last thing wyou want is to get it almost through...lol

• Like 1

Plain and simply not easy, but it can be done.Ours was much heavier and we moved it with aid of a appliance dolly, it also had to go downstairs so we put 2 planks side by side down the stairs and carefully laid the safe on its side and let it slide down the stairs. We held it from going uncontrolled by lowering it slowly with our bucket loader, but a pickup or something like it would be fine. Attach the rope to the safe and slowly drive toward the stairs with the truck. ( dont be stupid and stand below a 600 lbs safe.)When the safe is at the bottom CAREFULLy tip it up(its not as hard as you would imagine to tip it right side) and simply use the dolly to move it where ever just TAKE IT SLOW. A bit of planning is makes work alot easier. Also we kept the Pallet under the safe the whole time, do not unwrap it untill it reaches its final destination. They should load it on your pickup at the place so you shouldnt have to worry about that.

Thanks for the tips guys. I found a 32 gun Field and Stream safe on sale at Dicks and bought it. I 've decided I saved enough with the sale price to pop for the $200.00 the local movers want to pick it up, deliver it and put it down in the basement.

I'm anxiously awaitng delivery on Wed. The best news was that the new Dicks ad came out yesterday and the safe was $50.00 less than what I paid. I called the store and they said bring in the recipt and I'll get the additional savings.

I like the pvc idea as I'll need to put the safe in place, mark the floor for drilling bolt holes, move the safe, drill, and replace the safe. Then bolt her down and fill it up.

Check out Tapcons. At 1/4" diameter and 2-1/2" embedment you get over 1,500# in tension (pull out force) If you have 4 base anchors in the safe that is like having a 6,000# wieght anchoring it down. I used these on my safe and it is solid as a rock. Nice thing is I didn't have to drill any larger holes in the safe and I was able to drill with the safe in its final position. And if you change your mind thes come out very easily and just leave a 1/4" hole in the concrete. I would suggest getting the hex head style if you do it becase the phillips can strip out pretty easily.

Burmjohn,

How did you anchor the safe ? My thought was lead mollies into the cement floor, I did'nt think they would fit through the pre drilled holes in the safe ?

Mine did fine. The lead things fit through, tapped them down, then the bolt head and washer is what actually catches the metal on the safe.

We...3 big guys moved mine from the back of my P-UP with a hand cart,up 3 steps (brick) across the deck and up another step then across a hardwood floor, over a 2ftx2ft vent(I have forced hot air) I laid a small piece of heavy plywood over it,then a 90 into the room where it was going. The hardest part was up the 3 steps....what a SOB to do it...we aint little boys....depending on size,ofcourse on the unit,it's not for 150 lb guys to deal with,I know there may be a hero or 2 out there,but we are all betwixt 200-250 and 6ft or some.Not for wimps... :fie: No offense intended guys,but when something weighs 2-3 times your weight......you are not throwing it around.

Edited by Single_shot

Well the safe was delivered today ! I guess that answers my original question of how to move a gun safe, pay some strong guys to do it ! After seeing it done I believe with a few guys and a dolly it is very doable, but I don't regret hiring it out. I bolted the safe in place using lead lag shields and the lag bolts supplied with the safe. I put the safe on a carpeted concrete floor and found I could slide it around fairly easily, making the drilling process easy. They really are optimistic about gun capacity , the safe is supposed to hold 16 to a side, I put 10 on one side and that sees maxed out to me. Shelving on the other side for ammo, knives ect. Thanks for all your comments. I am pleased with this safe so far, bolts on all four sides of the door, fire AND water rated ( 2 feet for 72 hrs.), great price, (on sale now at Dicks 650.00). I'm hoping I never have to find out just how much heat, water and burgler attack this thing can really withstand but it does provid a alot of peace of mind.

This safe keeps getting better. So far Dicks has reduced the price twice from the time I bought it. Each time I head over to Dicks and the refund the difference. I'm over $150.00 in refunds ... so far, I hope they end up giving the things away ! At long as it's within 30 days of my purchase !