SD cards

fasteddie

I purchased some 4 g Sandisk cards and put one in a Trail Cam . Never had a problem before . I pulled the card that had been in the camera for a week and it wouldn't register . I checked the other three . Two were the same and the one I had in my Canon PowerShot SX130 was okay . Has anyone had to FORMAT a card in order to use it in a Trail Cam ?

Yup, I did, and I do it every time I stick them in the Cam so I don't go through the mess of not having pics after a month which happened one time.

Same, when ever I put a card in that I just backed up, I use the camera to format it.

EDIT: You also may want to check what the cameras max capacity for a card is. Mine is 2GB, if I put a larger card in, it corrupts all the files.

Edited by SteveNY

You have to be careful with this as you can get the wrong memory cards. Some older model cameras and computers only are able to read sd cards. If I remember right the sd cards are 2 gig. Alot of the newer equipment only reads SDHD cards. Your camera may very well be working fine but you are unable to view the pictures on your computer or other device do to the different formats. If this is the case you can purchase an accesory fo your computer to read the SDHC cards. Its about 20 bucks and need a usb port to plug into. There are no available downloads for a computer to read them it is a hardware not software issue.

Are your camerad capable of reading a 4 gig card..my older ones only take up to 2 gig.

That don't matter. You could put a 100GB card in a cam that can only handle a 2GB card.When the cam takes the max it can,it will be done.Not being a smart axx but that's how it works. I use whatever cards I have on hand,most are too big(memory wise) for my cam,but never will it effect the cam. 2 gigs is alot of pics,most people will never see that much on 1 trail cam.

That don't matter. You could put a 100GB card in a cam that can only handle a 2GB card.When the cam takes the max it can,it will be done.Not being a smart axx but that's how it works. I use whatever cards I have on hand,most are too big(memory wise) for my cam,but never will it effect the cam. 2 gigs is alot of pics,most people will never see that much on 1 trail cam.

This is not necassarily true. The particular camera you have can very well have the proper formatting and software to reconie a higher gig card (HD). Not all cameras can reconize nor format larger gig cards. Age of the camera and price range has alot ot do with their sd capabilities. For example I can format the heck out of a 4 gig card and my one moultrie cam will not reconize the card. Now stick a 2 gig in there no problem. And on the other side of this one of my laptops cannot read a card 4 gig or bigger without an external card reader. Theres more to it than just sticking any size card in. You very well may just have the right combo to accept any size which is very doable with the right cam.