Sausage making

WNYBuckHunter

The last few evenings Ive been mixing up venison, pork and other ingredients for sausage. Its a bit of work, but I like doing it and love the end results. So far I have 3 kinds, Cheddar Brats (seasoning from Eastman Outdoors), Breakfast (another purchased seasoning mix) and something I havent come up with a name for yet. Im not sure how good its gonna be and if I do like it, Ill name it something. This is the second year I have been making my own, and last year it was pretty darn good. I am still stuffing with my grinder, which works but isnt ideal. I think over the off season Im gonna get an actual stuffer. Here are some pics of the mess Im making...

2011-11-12_19-48-18_38.jpg

2011-11-13_17-41-56_628.jpg

2011-11-13_17-50-34_311.jpg

These little ones are the breakfast sausages...

2011-11-13_18-05-07_492.jpg

Boy I'm so jealous. I spent the day shootin' jerkey. Should be done in another two hrs or so. But making sausage myself is something i have been putting off for years. I do breakfast sausage but i just do the patties and then freeze them but i have to finally bite the bullet and get to stuffin some links. I'll try to remember to try the Eastmans when i get around to it. Also i'll have to pick your brain about adding the cheese to them. Thats the way i like it..

I havent tried the cheese yet, the Cheddar flavor was in the mix already. Last year I did the breakfast sausage in big rolls, like you buy at the store, but they were tough sometimes to divy up or prep, so I just went with the casings this year. One tip for you, dont mess with the casings at Dicks or Gander. The ones I got this year are from Wegmans, right in the meat section. They are local (from Syracuse) and cheaper, plus you get longer and more casings in a package.

I bought the LEMS 5# sausage stuffer sausage kit....I really liked being able to control the flow of meat with the hand crank...the sweet Italian I thought was just a tad on the salty side....but I am on a restricted salt diet...so I can't even drink soda any more...it's too salty tasting to me...will be doing my own mix from now on and plan on making a feta spinach sausage this year....

The LEM Backwoods breakfast mix is the mix I use for my breakfast sausage. My Brats and Breakfast sausages came out great, but my other concoction needs some fine tuning. Its a Red Wine mix and I tried using ground cloves, which came out ok, but I am going to replace the cloves with Coriander next time.

I would like to get the 5 or 15lb stuffer LEM has, but Ill wait and see if I can get a better deal on it. Maybe Ill even find a used one cuz Im a cheap ass.

Looking good I make sausages and brats too.I do have a

customer base that loves sausages.Hey try making a beer

and cheddar brats their good too.It does look good not to

mention its cheaper to do it yourself.things around here have

gotten really expensive I heard of a guy going to a place

in lower orange county with 25 lbs of meat and spending over

$275.00.PLUS your right its alot of fun.