Motivating

outdoorstom

How do you know if its a doe track??

I was half joking but, it is said that a bucks front tracks will have rounded toes due to scrape making over a period of time. Also in snow you might see where a buck drags its feet, that would be cause by the non stop running during the rut. Kinda like me before I have my coffee in the morning.

I was half joking but, it is said that a bucks front tracks will have rounded toes due to scrape making over a period of time. Also in snow you might see where a buck drags its feet, that would be cause by the non stop running during the rut. Kinda like me before I have my coffee in the morning.

Actually well defined fairly large pointy hoofs will most likely be that of a young deer (both sexes). Smaller pointy I think we can all ascertain is that of a fawn. A mature doe can have just as a well rounded hoof as a mature buck, the difference between that of a mature buck or doe then comes into play would be the size of the print. 9 times out of 10 the large well rounded hoof would be that of a buck, however I have some huge does in my area and you can get fooled some of the time. BTW in my experience the does will maintain a scrape just as much as the next buck. I have heard about the buck dragging his back leg and I have witnessed such in the snow but I'm not quite sure of the proof that these are made primarily by bucks??

hey Tom these guys have no clue about northern new york deer. Keep it a secret or they will all be here If you look even walking deer in soft ground will make a bigger looking track. That is by far a big deer. In the north it is about quality not quantity. One big one equals 3 dog sized ones

Trust me- that's a running deer. I've been farming my whole life. I've seen a few deer tracks. Now if the toes were closed and the dewclaws were making a mark, then we'd be talking. When you find a track with the toes closed and you can lay a 30-06 shell in it crosswise- then you have a big deer.

Trust me- that's a running deer. I've been farming my whole life. I've seen a few deer tracks. Now if the toes were closed and the dewclaws were making a mark, then we'd be talking. When you find a track with the toes closed and you can lay a 30-06 shell in it crosswise- then you have a big deer.

I wish I would have taken a picture of the next track in line to show you how close it was. This deer WAS NOT running. We had 1/2" of rain and the ground was soft. If you look, you'll see the dew claws are making a mark.