Outboard motor issues today

Nomad

So we took the SS Nomad out for a spin , and I had some issues with my ‘83 Johnson that’s been rock solid since well ‘83 . Cursing at idol it stalled out, I pumped the bulb on the fuel line started her up and off we went, but it had problems “ taking the gas “ , when I pushed the throttle down it just would bog down, eventually it would go . But would again stall at idol .

Its the old school metal six gallon can, which I guess you can’t even buy anymore , the odd thing is the bulb should get hard after a few squeezes, but not today it stayed soft  . Is this some kind of pressure loss in the tank /line ?

Never had an issue prior, well sometimes the line would pop off the tank .

Im thinking of buying the new style tank and fuel line and seeing what happens .

Thoughts ? 
thanks 

Edited by Nomad

Prob an air leak.  Either need a new fuel line or it just might be loose at the tank or the motor.  If the bulb doesn't pump up it's most likely an air issue. And if the line is really old it might be split somewhere or one of the seals at the ends. Can bend the line and see if any cracks letting air in. 

• Like 2

I am no marine mechanic, but here are some items to check:

Lack of or insufficient air venting for proper pressure?

Unclean fuel filter?

Stale gas....low octane?

Damaged/worn/slightly blocked fuel pickup line inside the fuel tank?  I say this because my chain saw had a slight crack in the fuel line inside the fuel tank so when I move the saw so the cracked line was no longer below the fuel it staled.

Edited by ADK Native
I spelled the word "fuel" wrong.in the last sentence.
  • Like 1