Rural internet service

rachunter

I’m looking to get internet service up at my house. It’s in the lower ADK’s exede and Hughes keep coming up any one have any experience with ether or a better one. This is for Internet only. I don’t watch t.v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had Hughes for 4-5 years. It was the only available method available to me at the time until cell service improved in my location. Then I went to wireless first through Verizon, and now through AT&T.

Hughes was problem free, but I couldn't stand their draconian data limits. If I recall, at that time I only had about 10 gigs of monthly data limit, and I exceeded it regularly it which case they would throttle me down to a completely unusable speed until I either hit my new billing date/data allowance or purchased more data at $10/gig. I'm sure that's been loosened up in the last 6-7 years. 

If satellite is the only method available, then you don't really have a choice.

Is DSL an option?  You'll need a phone line.   I have it and run a ton of stuff off of it as I made my cabin Smart, also have a lot of security cameras and stream TV service.   And of course internet.   

DSL has a distance limitation from the "Office"  Place where they have their head end equipment.  I'm limited to 6Mbps but that blows away what I could do with cellular before.  I saw ArmstrongNY is running a lot of fiber in rural areas of NY.  They have a huge contract to do so and ran fiber down my road.  I'm supposed to be able to hook up by the end of the year.  That may be an option.  They have a website that shows where it planned to go in.  http://armstrongny.com/Home/Map

I'm grateful I can get internet where cabin is.  My wife has been working out of cabin for last four months.  There's 55 total cases in that county and no deaths.  These people social distance for a living.  They already live miles apart

I've never heard anyone say something nice about Hughes.  Ends up being expensive and limited

3 hours ago, hueyjazz said:

I saw ArmstrongNY is running a lot of fiber in rural areas of NY.  They have a huge contract to do so and ran fiber down my road.  I'm supposed to be able to hook up by the end of the year.  That may be an option.  They have a website that shows where it planned to go in.

I've been watching. The current project stops 3/4 of a mile from my road - booo!

10 hours ago, ncountry said:

Not familiar with exide. We had Hughes net for a few years. Not a fan. Data limits, spoty service.

Is there cell service?

very limited cell service. Hughes has terrible reviews. Exede is also called viastat.

so far all I can find is hughes,exede and spectrum.

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

very limited cell service. Hughes has terrible reviews. Exede is also called viastat.

so far all I can find is hughes,exede and spectrum.

Our cell service at camp was very sketchy.  Walk around with your hand in the air waiting for a page to load.lol. we bought a signal booster and can now stream netflix, etc..  easily.

Jerry, rough cut.  That's like having a dollar but the ice cream cone cost $1.25 and you are just licking the glass watching the other kids.

For those of you contemplating getting more signal with a booster, before you spend your money on one you really need to see if you have enough signal to boost.  The signal  bars on your cell phone are basically useless.  The best way to measure you signal is to enter your phone into "Field Test Mode"

I'm most familiar how to do this with an iPhone but if you Google your model of Android there's a way to do it for that too.

For iPhone enter *3001#12345#*     The bars are now replaced with a negative number.  In this case a lower number is a stronger signal.  If the number is -100 or better than you really don't have enough signal to amplify and I think you would be wasting you money.   -80 or even -90 should be able to boost.    A lot of rural areas only have 3G and not LTE.

I think Wilson makes the best boosters but they aren't cheap.  To get the best signal figure out where the closest cell tower for your carrier is using a website like TV Fool.  Use a directional Yagi antenna for booster and point it at that tower.  But trees and mountains between points A and B do make a difference.  Originally at my cabin the closet tower was ATT but our phones were Verizon.  We ended up getting a Trac phone for that zip code so it would be ATT.  My father was in his last months so not having phone or texts wasn't an option.  Texts take less bandwidth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, hueyjazz said:

Jerry, rough cut.  That's like having a dollar but the ice cream cone cost $1.25 and you are just licking the glass watching the other kids.

For those of you contemplating getting more signal with a booster, before you spend your money on one you really need to see if you have enough signal to boost.  The signal  bars on your cell phone are basically useless.  The best way to measure you signal is to enter your phone into "Field Test Mode"

I'm most familiar how to do this with an iPhone but if you Google your model of Android there's a way to do it for that too.

For iPhone enter *3001#12345#*     The bars are now replaced with a negative number.  In this case a lower number is a stronger signal.  If the number is -100 or better than you really don't have enough signal to amplify and I think you would be wasting you money.   -80 or even -90 should be able to boost.    A lot of rural areas only have 3G and not LTE.

I think Wilson makes the best boosters but they aren't cheap.  To get the best signal figure out where the closest cell tower for your carrier is using a website like TV Fool.  Use a directional Yagi antenna for booster and point it at that tower.  But trees and mountains between points A and B do make a difference.  Originally at my cabin the closet tower was ATT but our phones were Verizon.  We ended up getting a Trac phone for that zip code so it would be ATT.  My father was in his last months so not having phone or texts wasn't an option.  Texts take less bandwidth.

i tried this on my XR. It brings me to a ton of categories. Which category are you pulling up the signal strength? and which signal? LTE? GSM? Etc.

1 hour ago, hueyjazz said:

Haha, you nailed it! I was told last year that the King Andy would most likely keep more funding coming for project expansions as he has been pushing for broadband expansion.

Then Covid happened and I'm sure that's all done now.

Jerry

I see the Armstrong trucks running cable all over the place by me so don't give up hope.  This is one job it's not hard to social distance.  Especially in areas that lack people in the first place.  I'm amazed they ran it by me as I'm one of the very few around there that isn't Amish.  Some how I don't see the Amish jumping on the fiber.  The Amish call me English.  It their code for outsider but they seem to be getting use to me. 

I think I screwed them up when I asked one of them a question and they spoke a broken German to me.  They weren't expecting a German answer back.

• Like 1