Quad or tractor

rachunter

If I were buying a new tractor today, I would likely start with Kioti.  I think all of today's "food plot" sized  JD's are rebadged Japanese powered Yanmars.   Back in 2005, when I could still get an American-made JD Power tech engine in the 43-60 hp range, I was all in.  I have not heard any bad stuff about the North Korean Kiotis.  Tales of WW 2, Pearl Harbor, and Battan are still too fresh in my memory to consider a Yanmar or Kubota.

Edited by wolc123

15 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

If I were buying a new tractor today, I would likely start with Kioti.  I think all of today's "food plot" sized  JD's are rebadged Japanese powered Yanmars.   Back in 2005, when I could still get an American-made JD Power tech engine in the 43-60 hp range, I was all in.  I have not heard any bad stuff about the North Korean Kiotis.  Tales of WW 2, Pearl Harbor, and Battan are still too fresh in my memory to consider a Yanmar or Kubota.

Nothing wrong with today's JD. Solid machines.  As good as the rest. 

10 acres , I'd look in to a CJ series kioti, or an L series kubota.  As said earlier jd have own system, but there is a lot of good used equipment that wont fit it ,main reason to stay away from jd unless your going to buy it all from a. Dealer,   you want a high gmp on hydraulic pump, ( compare lift capacities from same size tractors)  being as it's going to be used on lawn  industrial lugs would make sense, if more of a woods tractor ag lugs are way to go.  Sounds like you want a homeowners tractor  maybe get one that has a mid mount mower , snowblower possibility.  Cub cadet is almost  the same as a kioti. If you have a dealer nearby.  Being new to tractor a dealer to do initial break in maintenance maybe a consideration as well. .  A 25 to 35 hp tractor should do all you have stated you want to do. 

10 acres , I'd look in to a CJ series kioti, or an L series kubota.  As said earlier jd have own system, but there is a lot of good used equipment that wont fit it ,main reason to stay away from jd unless your going to buy it all from a. Dealer,   you want a high gmp on hydraulic pump, ( compare lift capacities from same size tractors)  being as it's going to be used on lawn  industrial lugs would make sense, if more of a woods tractor ag lugs are way to go.  Sounds like you want a homeowners tractor  maybe get one that has a mid mount mower , snowblower possibility.  Cub cadet is almost  the same as a kioti. If you have a dealer nearby.  Being new to tractor a dealer to do initial break in maintenance maybe a consideration as well. .  A 25 to 35 hp tractor should do all you have stated you want to do. 

Here’s where I get confused with all the models. Are the lawnmower models worth looking at or should I move up one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

No need to get implements for a JD from a dealer. Lots of aftermarket attachments available for deere

A nearby dealer is handy.  There are JD and Kubota dealets within 5 miles of my place.  Up until last year, there was also a Mahindra dealer that close.  Other than oil filters every 100 hours, I have not needed to visit them much.  That is one of the pluses of sticking with a quality brand. The nearby Kubota guy's other location carried Bush-hog brand rotary mowers and he was nice enough to ship one to his close location for me to pick up with my JD tractor.

Edited by wolc123

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

Here’s where I get confused with all the models. Are the lawnmower models worth looking at or should I move up one.

Many 25-35 hp models have mid PTO shafts for mower decks.  But the larger the tractor, the harder it is to mow in tight areas.  

The only way I would consider a mid mount mower would be on a sub compact tractor. 

I'm not 100% sure, but a friend of mine said Kubota has 0% for 72 months.  Might be something to look into.

• Like 1

Many 25-35 hp models have mid PTO shafts for mower decks.  But the larger the tractor, the harder it is to mow in tight areas.  
The only way I would consider a mid mount mower would be on a sub compact tractor. 
I'm not 100% sure, but a friend of mine said Kubota has 0% for 72 months.  Might be something to look into.

Yup 0% for 82 months. I don’t really need a mower. I’d rather have the bucket,forks and backhoe. I’m heading up tomorrow night for two days. I’m going to try and get to a dealer. There’s a lot of them in Amsterdam.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rachunter said:

Yup 0% for 82 months. I don’t really need a mower. I’d rather have the bucket,forks and backhoe. I’m heading up tomorrow night for two days. I’m going to try and get to a dealer. There’s a lot of them in Amsterdam.

I've been tractor perusing myself.

Kubotas resale and financing is what makes them so popular. I'm after them for a commercial compact tlb.

In amsterico H&m had some used stuff, there is a power sports place further down the road with LS tractors. Wich might be up your alley.

There is salem farm supply in claverack they had a good inventory, I stopped to look at an m59 it was rough and priced high so I don't know how other items are priced.

I've called emerichs several times with no returned calls and whenever I've stopped on one of their lots they have one salesman who's always with someone. It seems they don't want to sell me a tractor.

I'm going to go try Sharon springs garage next.

Ive beaten the crap out of my quad, pull anywhere 5-15 cords a year out of the woods. Its not work that hurts, it's submerging it in mud and water that wears things, bearing axles etc.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rachunter said:

It all depends on your terrain,  if your going to be doing mulch, plowing snow off drive a lawnmower sized will do fine , if your going for 1/2 acre foodplots, and want to move dirt  skid logs move up to a compact from sub compact.  

• Like 2

A mid mount pto is not.only.for a mower but can be used for a front mount snowblower on many models ,better than scraping blacktop with a blade or driving in reverse with 3pt. Again you need to look at what you think. You mostly are going to use it for, a backhoe is great when you need one but sits 95% of the time  so an easy.on. and off model would be recommend 

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

It all depends on your terrain,  if your going to be doing mulch, plowing snow off drive a lawnmower sized will do fine , if your going for 1/2 acre foodplots, and want to move dirt  skid logs move up to a compact from sub compact.  

Thanks i've been going over it all day.The roads are already on my property its flat.It will mostly be used for snow removal and hauling firewood from the back to my house with a trailer.The foodplots are what you guys on here call killplots.The property is 1024 yards by 324 yards,but i'm hoping to pick up the 10 acers next to it.That would make it a perfect 20 acer square.I know it's small but it's my peace of heaven.

Thanks again 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Modern hillbilly said:

I've been tractor perusing myself.

Kubotas resale and financing is what makes them so popular. I'm after them for a commercial compact tlb.

In amsterico H&m had some used stuff, there is a power sports place further down the road with LS tractors. Wich might be up your alley.

There is salem farm supply in claverack they had a good inventory, I stopped to look at an m59 it was rough and priced high so I don't know how other items are priced.

I've called emerichs several times with no returned calls and whenever I've stopped on one of their lots they have one salesman who's always with someone. It seems they don't want to sell me a tractor.

I'm going to go try Sharon springs garage next.

Ive beaten the crap out of my quad, pull anywhere 5-15 cords a year out of the woods. Its not work that hurts, it's submerging it in mud and water that wears things, bearing axles etc.

Your looking in my backyard.  I do not recommend Salem farm supply.

Don't just look past the bigger B series kubotas. Can do plenty with them. Staying around 15k it will be difficult to find a larger tractor. Try looking on youtube at some test videos of B series. Plenty of them out there and you will get to see what these "lawn mowers" can do. I borrowed my neighbors 22hp to move some dirt around the house, and was amazed how well it handled itself. If you had 25k, def get an L series. Nobody regrets having too big of a tractor if your only going to have 1, but the budget will limit your options.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You can do more work in less time with a larger tractor, but you also need to consider the increased difficulty in transporting it, if you plan on doing that regularly. 

I traded away one of my smaller old tractors this year, and sold another a couple years ago.  Each was easy to transport, and could even squeeze into the 8 foot bed of a full-sized pockup truck.  It took a long time to complete big task with the small implements they could handle.  

Currently, I have two medium sized tractors (28 and 43 PTO hp), which works out very well on food plots.  Other than the front loader on the larger one, each can use the same implements.  It is nice to always have a backup, in case of trouble during the short windows at planting time.  It is also nice to not need to change implements as often, and to have a spare tractor for a "helper" to use. 

Finally, it is nice to have a second tractor immediatly available if the first one gets stuck.  In the 15 years I have had it, I have yet to get my loader equipped 4 wheel drive with AG tires tractor stuck, but that was a regular occurence on my mucky bottom-line farm prior.  The front loader has always worked to pull myself out when I got in a little too deep in the mud.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

I have a bx 2670 kubota . Its a subcompact. R4 tires  hydrostatic trans. 20161031_161413.thumb.jpg.3fb9a23fbda3d390afdbfe718c6794a6.jpg

works great around the house . Largest   lawnmower i could get and still put it in my shed ... mow under and around trees. While its no  farm type tractor I have  moved alot of heavey rock trees and brush . I cleared trees and brush on my food plots  moved rock and flood debris from three floods . 20180814_090033.thumb.jpg.720b38b2146a449da66c615aae665a29.jpg20180819_141453.thumb.jpg.f5d3b4efe7b7e7dd6c4f5fcb197a8c5d.jpg

That said  its all I wanted in a subcompact . 26 hp 19 at the pto. Runs a 4 foot brush hog np. 4 foot tiller np . Yup it takes longer  than if I was running a bigger tractor. But it gets the job done.

Being its under 26 hp I don't have to deal  with obummer era regen regs. 

I will be getting an older L 38 40 something for the property in the future..

I have a bx 2670 kubota . Its a subcompact. R4 tires  hydrostatic trans. 20161031_161413.thumb.jpg.3fb9a23fbda3d390afdbfe718c6794a6.jpg

works great around the house . Largest   lawnmower i could get and still put it in my shed ... mow under and around trees. While its no  farm type tractor I have  moved alot of heavey rock trees and brush . I cleared trees and brush on my food plots  moved rock and flood debris from three floods . 20180814_090033.thumb.jpg.720b38b2146a449da66c615aae665a29.jpg20180819_141453.thumb.jpg.f5d3b4efe7b7e7dd6c4f5fcb197a8c5d.jpg

That said  its all I wanted in a subcompact . 26 hp 19 at the pto. Runs a 4 foot brush hog np. 4 foot tiller np . Yup it takes longer  than if I was running a bigger tractor. But it gets the job done.

Being its under 26 hp I don't have to deal  with obummer era regen regs. 

I will be getting an older L 38 40 something for the property in the future..

How was it pulling stumps and moving the rocks? As I cut the trees I’d like to clear the ground and plant select trees and plants. I’m going to check out the bx2680. When I hit the dealership

Also how is it removing the mower deck. I’d like to pick up the snowblower attachment.

There is a technique  to taking  down trees and getting stumps out . Biggest i have ever done was 5 inches . Push the tree at about 5 foot up get it rocking  using the momentum push it over  once its falling  back up so the roots don't get caught between the loader and the tractor.  Then  hook and curl the roots and push out.  It's not the best at it . It takes some time .  Sometimes depending  on the tree once its down i will limb and buck it up  leaving a few feet  for leverage on the stump. Chain over an old truck tire for leverage usually gets them out .  Bx is not made for logging but it will get it done .. 

Not sure it will work for all trees . I'm working with poplar.

5 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

This is the first implement I would tell anybody to get for a new tractor. Its a game changer and makes a FEL useful. https://www.bxpanded.com/ piranna tooth bar . Protects the edge of the fel. Makes digging much easier. 

Would be great for backhoe application. Technically, a front end loader is not design to use for hard digging application , no matter who the manufacture is.  

3 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Would be great for backhoe application. Technically, a front end loader is not design to use for hard digging application , no matter who the manufacture is.  

I agree. But it does make it more capable  to dig into mulch piles ... scrape gravel and rock up.  It also shears  off small brush  at ground level. When I buried my sons mastiff  I used it to dig a 5 foot deep hole in rocky creek bed type soil.  There's no way I could have done that without the toothbar.

• Like 1

How was it pulling stumps and moving the rocks? As I cut the trees I’d like to clear the ground and plant select trees and plants. I’m going to check out the bx2680. When I hit the dealership
Also how is it removing the mower deck. I’d like to pick up the snowblower attachment.

No matter what machine you buy in your price point, your going to work it VERY hard pulling/ digging out stumps if they are large.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1