Trying to help a military friend

Sir-diealot

You don't have places you can take him/her hunting? What about the places you hunt?

If looking for private land tell your friend to beat get a move on and start knocking on doors to ask for permission. Waiting too long won't allow for time so scout and see what's what on the land or get stands in place.

If looking for public land to hunt the DEC website it the best place to look up areas, and they will tell you if there are specific rules for a specific state forest or park.

7 hours ago, DirtTime said:

You don't have places you can take him/her hunting? What about the places you hunt?

If looking for private land tell your friend to beat get a move on and start knocking on doors to ask for permission. Waiting too long won't allow for time so scout and see what's what on the land or get stands in place.

If looking for public land to hunt the DEC website it the best place to look up areas, and they will tell you if there are specific rules for a specific state forest or park.

I do not own the land I hunt and I am not allowed to take anyone there. I will pass that information on to him.

7 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

The onX app for the phone is a great tool to find public hunting land . It will come in handy once hunting as well.

I will pass that on to him, I am trying to figure out that app myself, just got my first smartphone and am hating the small screen, going to look into a bigger one and see if I like the program any more.

1 hour ago, Sir-diealot said:

I do not own the land I hunt and I am not allowed to take anyone there. I will pass that information on to him.

Same boat with a place I hint in the ADK's. My wife and I can hunt it anytime we want, just no other guests. So I understand that 100%.

2 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Same boat with a place I hint in the ADK's. My wife and I can hunt it anytime we want, just no other guests. So I understand that 100%.

I am very fortunate, I have been living in the same house for 30 years and my landlords kids allow me to hunt every year. Only thing I am not allowed to do is bow hunt there.

15 hours ago, Sir-diealot said:

Trying to help a friend  who is stationed here in NY and trying to find some hunting places. He asked me about Hi-Tor but I have no experience there. Could anybody shed some light on the deer hunting there? His tags are for 8N

Dont forget to tell your Military Buddy that New York State will issue him/her a Free Hunting License !

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 4:11 PM, Sir-diealot said:

I will pass that on to him, I am trying to figure out that app myself, just got my first smartphone and am hating the small screen, going to look into a bigger one and see if I like the program any more.

Hit me up if you any specific questions , we have it figured out pretty well. 

Stationed where and with who? 

In northern NY Fort Drum offers hunting access, and is a huge area.

In the fingerlakes region, Montezuma Wildlife management has both small game and deer hunting, but tends to be used alot. There are alot of state game management areas throughtout the finger lakes region and most of northern NY.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 4:32 PM, Sir-diealot said:

I will do in the near future. To be honest I am debating between Onx and Basemap, I think Basemap has much better satellite photos

Everyone I know uses onX so sharing locations and waypoints is a big reason for me to use onX

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

Stationed where and with who? 

In northern NY Fort Drum offers hunting access, and is a huge area.

In the fingerlakes region, Montezuma Wildlife management has both small game and deer hunting, but tends to be used alot. There are alot of state game management areas throughtout the finger lakes region and most of northern NY.

He is with the Coast Guard and I will have to ask him the name of the base, I have known him a couple of months now online and have been trying to help him out. I am pretty sure he would be considered Western New York where he is stationed. Edit: Just got a message from him, he is in Rochester at the Coast Guard station there.

Edited by Sir-diealot

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Everyone I know uses onX so sharing locations and waypoints is a big reason for me to use onX

Makes sense but the only people I know that really hunt anymore are the people that own the property I hunt. I am trying to use it to figure the lay of their land a bit better, I mostly turkey hunt it but also deer hunt it but want to get more into the woods on their property instead of so much field edges. I have been in a couple of car accidents and just got back into hunting after 17 years of not being able to hunt because of the last car accident so I would like to be able to look overhead and try to find some more wooded tracks on their land. They have 86 acres but I am only allowed to hunt a small area of it below their cabin. If they get their turkey early I can go up top where the bulk of the land is.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2020 at 8:22 AM, Sir-diealot said:

Trying to help a friend  who is stationed here in NY and trying to find some hunting places. He asked me about Hi-Tor but I have no experience there. Could anybody shed some light on the deer hunting there? His tags are for 8N

Hi Tor gets very heavy hunting pressure. I live on the edge of it. 

6 minutes ago, Sir-diealot said:

How is it during bow season?

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk

Bow season should be no problem to get away from people up there.

There are several huge parcels that make up Hi Tor.

Where are you guys located? Close to Naples? I'd be happy to show you a few places up there, where I think you could get away from pressure during archery.

I like to squirrel hunt there. 

Edited by Skillet

29 minutes ago, Skillet said:

Bow season should be no problem to get away from people up there.

There are several huge parcels that make up Hi Tor.

Where are you guys located? Close to Naples? I'd be happy to show you a few places up there, where I think you could get away from pressure during archery.

I like to squirrel hunt there. 

He is in Rochester, I am near Pen Yan I normally have a place to deer hunt gun season but since none of them bow hunt they do not want me to bowhunt the land and I need a place to bow hunt nearby that the ground is not going to beat me to hard. I was not sure I was going to bow hunt this year because my shoulder is still recouping from surgery but I picked up a 45 lb. bow and am going to try this year and see how I do. Only place I know near me is Keuka Lake State Park and that gets pretty hammered.