Is this really the reason ?

Water Rat

I’ve been talking to a few people about the 17” minimum crossbow restriction. Everyone seems to be under the impression that the reason this regulation exists is because the DEC is trying to discourage people from shooting deer out a vehicle window. I hate to think that is the reason. Why punish everyone for actions of a few ?

The DEC didn't have a lot to do with the Xbow regulations as they are currently. A bow hunters lobbying group and some uninformed legislators made the rules. Believe the idea for the 17" width limitation was to prevent the use of some of the narrower & more "powerful" reverse draw Xbows.

• Like 1

The regs were put in place , to. Simulate the equivalent of a 65 lb compound at the time, the dec had little to do with it , it was all legislation. The dec gets blamed for a lot but it is not a separate game department like many states whose constitutional mandate is to manage game and fish for a state.  It is an enviromental organization who had game management dumped on them by. The state legislature.  

If we had a right to hunt and fish to be managed by a game department ,in. The state constitution. they could make the laws and regs and change them whenever they deemed necessary.  Not dependent on political affiliation and rules made by urban areas and their prejudices.  Heck we dont even have a season till the legislators vote it every year.. sad part is most people believe its untouchable. Yet they can simply say no season and your life time licences and tags are worthless.  

• Like 2

Is there any source in the DEC who could explain the rationale for the 17" minimum rule.

I am too inexperienced to have a view and don't have problem with rules Just want to know whats behind them.

I recall in E Asia 40 years ago how we deplored people shooting gaur ( wild cattle) with an AK 47.

Is a <17" cross bow close to that?

2 hours ago, Downstate Dud said:

Is there any source in the DEC who could explain the rationale for the 17" minimum rule.

I am too inexperienced to have a view and don't have problem with rules Just want to know whats behind them.

I recall in E Asia 40 years ago how we deplored people shooting gaur ( wild cattle) with an AK 47.

Is a <17" cross bow close to that?

Dec didnt pick the size blame.yout governor and representatives

• Like 1

I “heard” the same thing. That the size and draw weight were picked by the NYS Bowhunters so that Xbows would not have an advantage over compound bows. 

I have a Tenpoint Titan Extreme. NYS compliant. I have harvested two bucks with it. I missed a doe the first year but my fault not the bow. I do not need a new bow. 

It pisses me off to no end that we Have these restrictions. I’d like to upgrade my equipment from time to time and it should be my choice what kind of bow I buy not the NYS Bowhunters Association. 

F..king NYS. We have compliant AR’s and handguns. And now compliant Xbows.

The anti Xbow lobbying group (NYBH) certainly had some influence over the Enviro Conversation sub-committee's members when they were rewriting the current Xbow regs. Although never documented, you certainly could jump to the above conclusion regarding NYBH's directly influencing the regs. BTW - this has been an annual battle for the past 6yrs by the lobbying groups, the anti Xbow NYBH and the pro contingent NY Crossbow Coalition. As much as you hate Czar Andy, he actually put a bill into the NYS budget a few years ago removing most of the current regs. Of course, it got dropped out of the proposed budget.

The 17" rule is no big deal for me, nor is the 2 week season in the southern zone (thankfully they are the best 2 weeks).  My $ 250, 300 fps Barnett recruit comes in right at the minimum width and has got the job done every time ( 5 for 5 on deer).

My only big issue with the current rules in NY is just having 3 days, up on the northern zone, before the guns (early ML season) open up.  Must be that the NYB has more influence up there.  Those rules really screw the business up there, that depend on tourism dollars, but those selfish, elitist, NYB sob"s dont give a crap.