This is sick

Single_shot

This is sickening  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Let it burn

• yes
    • no

Since the fire co. was already there,they could have put it out and billed the owner(s)...the pets did not have to die,because of a stupid $75 fee. That's like falling from your tree stand and when you get to the hospital,they tell you they can't pull the knife out of your gut because your boss didnt pay the insurance.

Wow. What if someone couldn't afford to pay it? So much for your house! I'm sorry, but there's no question in my mind that these people are paying taxes on their property as it is. Why do the ones in the city get an exception to this? What's the next thing? "Oops-we can't send the police to your house, because you didn't pay your subscription fee."

I can understand some thinking that it's the owners tough luck for not paying the fee. But on the other hand I thought police, fire departments, hospitals, EMS, emergency room doctors were there for the public good? If they were to check out everyone to see whether they were criminals, owed taxes, didn't make mortgage payments, etc. etc. before they provided service to them, you'd have a lot of people dying unnecessarily. I know it's a fine line, but these first response people are supposed to save lives and property of everyone as they were trained before they ask any questions as to ability to pay or whether they paid other prior fees. I don't think it's part of their job description to be the judge and jury on who gets their service.

Wow. What if someone couldn't afford to pay it? So much for your house! I'm sorry, but there's no question in my mind that these people are paying taxes on their property as it is. Why do the ones in the city get an exception to this? What's the next thing? "Oops-we can't send the police to your house, because you didn't pay your subscription fee."

I bet they pay city taxes and that does cover the fee. The rural don't pay the city taxes and then don't benefit from the services unless they cover the fee. Just a hunch but I bet our NYC members can appreciate a city tax on top of all our other ones.

I bet the department was there not only for life rescue but to keep it from spreading to homes that DID pay their fees.

I agree with the fact that shoulda paid the bill, but to just sit there and watch it burn is unethical. Like others have said, they coulda been billed, even though they may or may not have paid it anyways.

Ethics are not universal. If they wouldnt have paid the bill, who would have been responsible for it? Its kind of like car insurance. Dont pay the bill and crash your car, its tough cookies for you.

I agree with Steve863. All they had to do was assess the fee onto their property taxes. Even rural towns assess taxes on properties. If they don't pay the tax, the Town's recourse would be to foreclose on the lien and take the house away. But first responders are supposed to act first and then ask questions.

I agree with Steve863. All they had to do was assess the fee onto their property taxes. Even rural towns assess taxes on properties. If they don't pay the tax, the Town's recourse would be to foreclose on the lien and take the house away. But first responders are supposed to act first and then ask questions.

And had there been people at risk, they probably would have.

I can understand some thinking that it's the owners tough luck for not paying the fee. But on the other hand I thought police, fire departments, hospitals, EMS, emergency room doctors were there for the public good? If they were to check out everyone to see whether they were criminals, owed taxes, didn't make mortgage payments, etc. etc. before they provided service to them, you'd have a lot of people dying unnecessarily. I know it's a fine line, but these first response people are supposed to save lives and property of everyone as they were trained before they ask any questions as to ability to pay or whether they paid other prior fees. I don't think it's part of their job description to be the judge and jury on who gets their service.

Many rural ares don't get city coverage. but that is why many volunteer companies were started. I think it is BS and just politics. The fires should have been put out but what about other public services. If you don't pay your water bill you get your water turned off. If I don't pay for a company to pick up my trash I am out of luck there too. I know those are not life safety things but I would be interested to hear if the first question the fire fighters asked when they arrived was "Is anyone in the home?".

I also don't want to be too judgemental but I can't help but wonder if they chose not to or couldn't pay the fee and had high speed cable, a $30,000 pick up, big screen TV.

Say they didn't have fire insurance and lost everything.....we will end up paying for them anyway so why not just put the darn fire out.

I bet they pay city taxes and that does cover the fee. The rural don't pay the city taxes and then don't benefit from the services unless they cover the fee. Just a hunch but I bet our NYC members can appreciate a city tax on top of all our other ones.

I bet the department was there not only for life rescue but to keep it from spreading to homes that DID pay their fees.

Actually, we will probably never know who they pay taxes to. Irregardless, taxes are supposed to be paid for public services. If you're a block away, how do you know if anyone is in the house? It's not like they went in and checked. As for taxes, and New York City, when it comes to funding between the city, and upstate, there have been many battles over that, as upstate usually gets the short end of the stick when it comes to funding for education, etc. This is no big secret.

It wan'st the Town's fire department. It was the nearby city's fire department. That is like paying for a burger at MsDonalds and trying to pick it up at the Burger King drive through...lol. The town couldn't lean anything becasue they didn't provide the service

I hear what your saying Culver. It's all a fine line, but when it comes to possible lives being lost they should put out the fire and not worry about any other issues. How were they sure, that there was no one trapped in the basement or elsewhere in the house? Maybe I missed something in the article, but I don't think firemen ever assume that there is NO one in jeopardy. It could have been a neighbors kid (whose family does pay all fees) playing in the basement with the owners kid and trapped. Things are not always so black and white. I think a lot of ethical issues involved here.

They had a fee to pay it was $75 and that is the end of the discussion. I am so sick and tired of hearing about people making stupid decisions that the rest of should have to pay for. It's terrible that they lost their home but at some point you have to be responsible for yourself. So what if they couldn't afford it? Find a way! Shovel driveways, pick produce, pump gas!! You do whatever it takes to be self sufficient. It was $75 - I am not going to make any sterotypical statements about what they spent their money on but I know that $75 is less than 2 tanks of gas, less than a few meals out, it's less than my cable bill. I dont think I am going to get hurt or sick but I pay for Long Term Disability insuarnce just in case I cant work for some reason. I dont expect some one to pay my way. I will get off my soap box now - but before I do I am also pissed off at all these "Occupiers". Bunch of whiney idiots with $150,000 in student loans with a degree in philosphy. Am I supposed to feel bad for some guy because he feels he is entitled to a BMW, a 4000 sq foot home, and a 2000 sq hunting lodge. My advice work hard - pay your bills, shut your mouth.

• Like 2

It was a city fire dept doing a county fire call, and the city was not paid there $75 fee. I also seen some where if it is live threatening they will do the rescue. OK, I think I see why southern stated may have lower taxes. As it seems the $75 fire fee that you can or can not pay. Where here in NY the fire fees are already figured into your property taxes.

I know people that don't have insurance on there homes, and I look at them and tell them they are stupid. Home Owners or rental insurance is money well spent.

Here is a quote from the fire victims

"Bell and her boyfriend said they were aware of the policy, but thought a fire would never happen to them."

How were they sure, that there was no one trapped in the basement or elsewhere in the house?

It was a trailer. I have no way of knowing but many of the parks the trailer owners don't even own the property and don't pay taxes.

Read the other article they link to about the previous case. The Fire Fighters groups are NOT happy about this decission. It is all political. sad...reallllly sad.

"There's no way to go to every fire and be able to keep up the manpower, the equipment, and just the funding for the fire department," said South Fulton Mayor David Crocker.

But it was cost effective to send the fire department there to watch the place burn? Funny how the volunteer fire departments seem to be able to get manpower, equipment and get to every fire... must be a union thing..lol

They had a fee to pay it was $75 and that is the end of the discussion. I am so sick and tired of hearing about people making stupid decisions that the rest of should have to pay for. It's terrible that they lost their home but at some point you have to be responsible for yourself. So what if they couldn't afford it? Find a way! Shovel driveways, pick produce, pump gas!! You do whatever it takes to be self sufficient. It was $75 - I am not going to make any sterotypical statements about what they spent their money on but I know that $75 is less than 2 tanks of gas, less than a few meals out, it's less than my cable bill. I dont think I am going to get hurt or sick but I pay for Long Term Disability insuarnce just in case I cant work for some reason. I dont expect some one to pay my way. I will get off my soap box now - but before I do I am also pissed off at all these "Occupiers". Bunch of whiney idiots with $150,000 in student loans with a degree in philosphy. Am I supposed to feel bad for some guy because he feels he is entitled to a BMW, a 4000 sq foot home, and a 2000 sq hunting lodge. My advice work hard - pay your bills, shut your mouth.

Who shut their mouth?!