This is sick

Single_shot

This is sickening  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Let it burn

• yes
    • no

So your assumptions are correct. It is just others peoples that are wrong....got it. The media and the womans quote seemed pretty clear. Didn't pay for the service because they didn't think they needed it. Her quote

I am not assuming anything someone's house burned down for $75 and that's fine in your mind. They are irresponsible? What does that say about the town and the FD to let someones house burn for not paying $75? I don't give a dam what the reason is for not paying the $75 they have a moral and ethical responsibility to put the fire out. If not they shouldn't be fire fighters, oh they are fire watchers not firemen. If you agree with this decision you need your head examined. Somethings not right upstairs. No matter how you look at this it is just WRONG.

If not they shouldn't be fire fighters, oh they are fire watchers not firemen.

Put yourself in their boots.... you've a firefighter (and a damn good) who loves his job. You go to a situation like this and are told by your administration if you fight that fire you can and most likely will loose that job.

what would you do ?

Dave. You are unreal. Read my posts. I agree with you that I think they should have put it out. I am not going to play a bleeding heart liberal card to try and justify the irresponsibility of the homeowners. And don't get down on the fire fighters...this was political and if you read the other link to the other fire you would see the fireman and their organizations are up I was arms about the political decision.

That's heartless what if it was someone you knew who was on hard times and had no job and couldn't afford the $75?

Heartless? Not in the least Dave, its called responsibility. You know, the thing that so many people in this society have lost sight of. The people knew the fee was there and just plain didnt pay it. The article never once said what the financial position of the people was, so whos to say they were unable to pay a $75 per year bill in the first place? When I have a bill that I know needs to be paid, I do what I have to to pay it, I dont just say "Well Ill probably never need that, so screw it."

I'm sure there are a lot of people in that area.. including the woman who watched the fire dept sit there while the house burned... that think it was wrong.. I notice that none of the neighbors got together and handed the fire dept $75 to help the people out... If it concerned me that much I would have paid the fee right then and there to the fire dept for them just to save their house.

I pay fire insurance hoping and also not expecting to use it, but I still pay it. There was a couple who's house burnt near mine, they had a benefit because they didn't have fire ins. They had no problem sitting at the local pub drinking and playing darts every week. I did not give one dime to them either. If you want fire protection pay for it. I don't like my fire tax but I will pay it so I don't go through this.

Not sure about other counties, but in Ontario County, we don't get money from the county for mutual aid to other departments.. . when we need help, they come and help us; when they need help, we go and help them; it's understood that the costs even out.

I didn't mean to imply the fees were for the mutal aid calls. I was trying to convey what you said but you did it much better. The fire departments get county/town funding for their operations regardless of where the calls are.

THis is a pretty nice read for an explanation of how NY handles fire protection. I guess a broken clock is right twice a day becasue I think they have this one right. I ca't see why something like this can't be done in other areas of the county to assure things like this don't happen.

http://www.nyslocalgov.org/pdf/Fire_Protection_in_NYS.pdf