Broken Antler

tibio

I shot a deer early this morning 20yd broadside. didn't realize he had a craked antler. Lost 3 points. Anyone know what could of caused this? Am I crazy to go out looking for it? He would of been a nice 8 pointer with a 17 1/4 inch spread

You'd be a dirtbag if you didn't go looking for a deer you shot because it had a broken tines. Not sure I see you point of this thread.

you miss read it he wanted to know if he should go backout and look for the lost antler

Can't hurt to look! I'd deffinately be out there looking for it.

Chances are he broke it off fighting so check the places where the deer would gather to feed or staging areas.

From the sounds of it, missing a 3 point section should be relatively easy to spot like a shed antler. If he's missing 3 individual tines it will be a little tougher, but I'd never say impossible. I've found a few broken racks and tines while shedding.

• Like 1

Ok, since you know exactly how many points were on the missing chunk of antler, I am going to assume that he had it on his head when you first saw him and shot. So I would guess he lost it somewhere between where you shot it and where it finally wound up dead (probably where it fell). So if you know where it stood when you shot, and the blood trailing was not excessively long, I think there is an excellent chance that you could go back out and find it. Don't wait for the snow to cover it up. If you are interested in having it all mounted, I would think that a taxidermist might be able to do a pretty acceptable job of re-attaching it.

If that's not the way it all happened and you are going to try to aimlessly wander through the whole woods looking for it, I would suggest that you save yourself a lot of time and effort. You would better spend your efforts buying a lottery ticket. The odds of success would be a whole lot better.