finding dead deer while hunting.

Red

Seriously, shooting slugs at 200 yards and hoping for a hit? Now that's a scary proposition...

My wording was pretty crappy, I apologize. He was 200 yards from my home. I am not sure how far he was from the deer. I only knew it was a group of does because I encountered them when going back to talk to him.

im gonna guess not all the bucks found dead and missing their racks were from poachers im sure some of them are from hunting with the bow or the gun and not finding the animal right away then stumbling on it later in the season and cutting the rack off or another hunter finding it and cutting the rack off.

I find at least a couple of unrecovered deer every year during gun season. This season I found a dead 10-pt (just a skull) during bowseason and a doe. During gun I came across a 4-pt., a buttonbuck and another buck with his head sawed off. Don't think it was poached (wasn't there on Nov. 19), rather, someone found it first and took the rack. During my shed hunting ventures this past spring I found over 20 dead deer from January to mid-April...

It doesnt take a biologist to figure that out. You can get a good guestimate by looking at what the DEC figures the deer population to be, then look at the estimated mortality rate and subtract out the number of deer harvested by hunters and it will give you a round about figure. I would be surprised if humans kill more than mother nature.