Man poaches prized buck at Minnesota deer farm

Steve7

arrow nocker said it best.....I think it's funny...sad really....We just had someone take a huge doe on this forum...and a trophy she is....he described having to hunt her for something like three years before putting a tag on her...but there will never be a BIG doe contest.....Doe have always ...especially during bow season been much more of a challenge for me to hunt...I think it's sad that hunters coming up through the ranks don't get to realize just what a trophy a smart ole doe can be ...it took me 2 years to drop a brain dead buck in rut with a bow ...but 7 to draw down on a doe with out getting caught....Human nature...Status symbols...never been able to wrap my mind around them.....houses....cars...clothes....racks....

Oh how true. Adult does are probably the hardest deer in the woods to harvest. Thats one of the biggest reason,if not the biggest reason that you would never wipe out a herd in any givin area. I took the smokepole to letchworth this weekend and could not believe the amount of adult does that i saw. I said early in the year that the numbers are down on the park and i stick by that but trust me when i say there are still a good number of deer in the areas i hunt on the park.The new bow only area on the mt morris end of the park is teaming with adult doe's!! Thats good newz!!!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I didnt ask specifically what they feed them, but they said it was a mix of corn, oats, alfalfa and SUPPLIMENTS. Please, show me a 2 year old wild buck that looks like the one I pictured. Stress has alot to do with antler growth and overall health of any animal. Im not saying genetics doesnt play a part in it, but there are a hell of alot more factors than just that and age. Put one of your deer with great genetics in a wild environment with predators, droughts, flooding, and all of the other stresses that go along with it and see what kind of antlers it grows. It would probably look like most of the other big deer you see in NY.

You seem to forget that I hunt land thats in an area with some of the best farm land in the state. We have more corn, beans, alfalfa, wheat, oats and other crops than you can shake a stick at growing in the area. Plenty of water all year round and lots of swamps and thick brush for them to hide out in, good genetics (look at my trail cam pics) and you will still NEVER see a 2 year old that looks anything like a farm raised 2 year old. Why? Not food, not water, not bad genetics. Hmmmmm...

I know you raise deer, but you are leaving way too many parts of the equation out of the equation. Its like saying everyone with the bloodlines of Arnold Schwarzenegger is going to look like him with just the right food.

BTW, I would absolutely love to be in a position like yours and work with deer every day.

Well,Well....Look what i dug up out of your past!!! Is this what you call two-faced or what. You say all kinds of smack about farmers and high fence then you post and i quote

BTW, I WOULD ABSOLUTELYLOVE TO BE IN A POSITION LIKE YOURS AND WORK WITH DEER EVERY DAY!!!!!

• Like 1

Well,Well....Look what i dug up out of your past!!! Is this what you call two-faced or what. You say all kinds of smack about farmers and high fence then you post and i quote

BTW, I WOULD ABSOLUTELYLOVE TO BE IN A POSITION LIKE YOURS AND WORK WITH DEER EVERY DAY!!!!!

Honestly, me thinks that your obsession with big antlers has gotten to your head. Maybe the stuff you feed the deer is seeping into your water supply? Might be good for their antlers, but from the looks of your posts lately, it may not be doing you much good.

Sure would, doesnt mean I advocate high fenced deer hunting. Youre a friggin nimrod.

interesting reads lol, half the deer i see that are raised have giant "unreal" racks but look like fawns in my area, tiny bodys no mass or maybe its just the rediculously giant ugly racks on top of there head that makes them look so small. i agree with WNY and some others, a spike is a bigger trophy than a deer in a fence being fed

Also I dont think shooting a tame deer would be poaching? Isnt that more destruction of private property? Selling deer pee and butchering for meat to sell is one thing. But making their racks as big as possible and then throwing them to the hunters for cash is kind of tasteless IMHO.

Edited by erussell