Cutlets

the blur

There is one butcher on Long Island, who will butcher the entire deer into CUTLETs for an extra fee.

I can see him slicing the backstraps. I can see him slicing the steaks into small pieces, but what is he doing with the roasts and the chops???

Certainly the entire deer can't be made into cutlets as he claims , right ???????????

I guess he could do most of it. Roasts could easily be and I don't do chops anymore because I like the backstraps whole and I don't like cutting bone through meat. But the Backstraps could be too. At some point though you would end up with very small pieces of cutlets as you reached the end of a cut. and the meat below the knees are not much good for other than grinding or canning. He has to do some in another fashion.

I guess I would have to see his work before I passed judgement...

A clever butcher might cut some very nice "cutlets" form areas of the deer that are normally ground, or cut into roasts..

There are however, certain parts of the deer that would be good either ground or roasted ... Neck meat and shanks come to mind, as well as parts of the front quarters.. I have a hard time imagining some of these cuts as "cutlets".

I think the classification of cutlet is more about thickness than size

If that's the case, I have a bridge I'd like to sell. I'll even toss in a boning knife and you can DIY cutlets................

Edited by Lawdwaz

The other, more important thing.....when you slice things up your "shelf life" in the freezer is cut back.

Why not just, of all crazy things, just cut the meat up when your ready to cook it?

All the meat that I use in stew is frozen in chunks and will be cubed when ready for the stew. YMMV?

$40 extra for "cutlets"? Thats on top of what? $50+ to have the deer butchered to begin with? So now you are talking close to, if not over $100 for your deer to be processed. Man, thats some pricey meat right there. At those kind of prices, I dont even know if Id bother. Ive got 2 1/2 deer in the freezer right now that cost under $50 total including the 6 varieties of sausage I made.

I am the only one in the house that eats venison, so I need to wrap it in small packages. if I freeze a big roast, who else is eating it when it defrosts?

Man that stinks, if you did wrap it it would take you forever considering all of the smaller pieces of meat you would have to wrap sized for one person. I too would size it accordingly and just smash it with a meat mallet at cooking time. Save yourself some money.

• Like 1

I ran a processing business for 15 years, this guy sounds like a magician to me, LOL.

The chops ARE the backstraps cut into slices.

I can see seaming out the leg muscles for cutlets, and butterflying the backstrap/loin for cutlets. Parts of the shoulders could conceivably be seamed out & cut into cutlets, but unless you're butchering a fawn or button buck, will eat like shoe leather. I wouldn't even bother trying to make the neck into anything but roasts or ground meat.