Project Hunting Pod

So I am building a custom teardrop camper out of a 4x8 utility trailer I have sitting around. Ive been thinking about how I want to build it and thought that making it into a personal size, personal hunting camp. I will be building it with some built in space for cooking, a propane grill that attaches to the side (like an RV-cue), plenty of storage space for hunting equipment and unlike most teardrops, it will be insulated and have a small heater included. There will be enough space for two to sleep and it will be light enough to be towed by just about anything. Do any of you guys have any input on what other features would be good? Keep in mind it needs to stay lite.

hmmm.. yes weight will be an isuue, maybe some type of mounting system for washing up out side, like an external shower spot. A bench seat that folds open for storage, like something you would find on my pool deck made out of plastic to save weight. I would want plenty of hooks to hang stuff inside too. Then what about after you shoot the big one, where will you process it? You could put a detachable table on the side, with the RV-que style mounting bar.

You know John, I was looking at it last night and I think it would be a one guy or one couple type deal.

Doe, we already use a camper for a hunting camp. We park it right off the roads on state land sometimes. You can stay there a certain number of nights without a permit. You need a generator to run the lights, etc. The one we use now is 33 foot. We call it the Hilton on the hill.  :D

This teardrop will be for sale, Im just building it as a project. I already have a camper.

WNY, You should paint it camo, then the perspective buyer could use it as a blind too....wouldn't that be the best hunting blind ever. Just park it and wait for the deer, ha!

I was thinking about out of state trips useing the camper, it would save some money thats for sure.

What kind of camper do you have any way? We bought a Jay Feather 28R this spring and love it. It sure beats a tent or pop up, especially when you have kids that need to get to sleep when its loud out side.

We have a pop up now, getting rid of it come springtime in favor of something bigger and easier to setup. We have a line on a 32 foot motorhome that someone we know is looking to get rid of for cheap. We would ideally want a hybrid though.

My buddy's 33 footer is nice, but a bit big for me to want to own.

If you consider buying new, try to wait until around the camping show in March, dealers are very willing to deal then. They have to make room for the new models coming out and will throw in alot of freebies to sweeten the pot. And as a rule of thumb, they can knock about 30% off the msrp of a new camper.

I see alot of them hybrids out there, I like them and we may go to a smaller one some day when the kids are older. They are far more easy to go some where with then a 31' camper. And I wouldn't need a Suburban to tow one around with too. We sit at just about 50' total when all hooked up to the truck.. that was a jump from a 12' pop-up!!!

Way back in the olden days when my wife and I were into camping, we spend a few years just using our pick-up truck with a small cap on the back. We slid two folding camp-cots in there and put a full size mattress on top, and it turned out to be the most comfortable sleeping quarters for two that you could imagine. Under the cots, we stored all our food, fishing gear, supplies, clothing, and cooking equipment, and had room to spare. It worked out pretty good because we had nothing to tow along behind us. I never used it as a hunting base, but it would seem as though it would probably have worked as well as a tow-behind "pod".

Doc

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/portable-tankless-water-heater.aspx?a=680099

Propane hot water shower----a must. several models have a 12 volt pump that would supply water for the shower and work off the vehicle battery.

http://www.gas-lights.com/mr-heater-base-camp.html

Propane lights

the lights are 2000 BTU per each and one would make it very toasty in there and be plenty of light. I have 3 in our common area of camp and they are great

I might be able to fit a small water system in it, an RV tank underneath the floor, but I dont know about the water heater. You can get outdoor showers that are portable though and just haul one with you. I was thinking about a small pump handle sink, but then you have to figure something out for the grey water, as its illegal to dump it on the ground in most places. Ill probably just forget any type of water system and concentrate on making more storage room. The propane light is a definite possibility though.

• 3 weeks later...