I want to reload my own ammo

I have been wanting to reload my own ammo for quite some time now but have never got around to buying the equipment and supplies. I was wondering if there were any reloading presses/dies/kits out there that were better than others? I work with a guy who mainly uses RCBS equipment but also has some Lee stuff too. I don't want to spend a fortune but would be willing to spend a decent amount of money on a nice reloading set up. Also, where is the best place to store the powder when not in use? I have a garage that is heated by a woodstove and planned on reloading in there (opposite side of the room). Any suggestions or feedback would be helpful.

Oh the good ole days of reloading. Plan on spending alot of time....hope you have free time.An RCBS outfit would fit the bill just nice.I would suggest a nice digital scale over a beem....much quicker, You can find a decent used setup from forums like this or other forums.I could keep an eye out for you if you like.A garage would be ok for storage as long as there are no fast big changes in temp.Powder is like a gas tank on your car...if there is extreme temp change,you will get moisture.I kept my powder in the finished basement of my house and tightly sealed...it will keep virtually forever. I also let the local FD people(I live by and know most of them) what room of the basement was stocked with powder and alot (a lot ;) ) of rounds loaded....so if there were a fire,they would treat that area as hostile. They thanked me for it. I would strongly suggest you get with your work friend to get you started for the first few rounds. There are alot of things that can go wrong the bad way if done incorrectly. Have fun and be safe.

I would go with the RCBS kit and press it is the most common. Other co’s make very good kits and presses. As for dies I would try dies from different companies they will all fit your press. I would get a powder measurer so you can throw charges you will find ball powder will throw easier than stick powder.

Back when they used to have "The Swap Sheet" , I bought a Lyman Turret press for $75 that also had a couple sets of RCBS dies , a bullet sizer , 1000+ primers and a few other goodies . A girl had inhetited the stuff from an uncle . Oh yeah , an Ohaus beam scale came with the lot and a powder measure also .

Before I started reloading I purchased books for reloading rifle cartridges as well as one for pistols and read up on what it took to reload .

I purchased the Lee Deluxe Rifle dies as well as the pistol dies and prefer them over the RCBS dies .

I 1st started reloading 223 and then reloaded some 7-30 waters cartridges . I have reloaded 44 mag and 270 cartridges for my oldest son . The Lee dies have served me well . I also bought a couple of tool boxes that have drawers to store the dies as well as a Lee single stage press ,a brass tumble / polisher , primer pocket cleaner , etc .. There is a lot of little stuff that you need to do the job .

This isn't a bad starter kit ---------

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Breech-Lock-Challenger-Kit.html

Thanks guys. I think I will be researching the RCBS press/kit and try to see what I can find. For now I am mostly interested in reloading .30 caliber for my 30.06 and .22 caliber for my 22-250. These are the guns I shoot the most so I have a lot of brass for them already. I talked to my co-worker and he said he would give me a few dies and would be more than willing to come out and show me how to use everything once I get it. I have the Hornady hand book on reloading but if there any other good reads out there let me know.

I have been reloading for many years, here is what I can tell you. I have a Lee press for pistol it is great for the money. Since you are going in the 30 cal way go with RCBS as it is a better press for those sizes. A progressive press is the best way to go but it cost a lot more. A Lee turret press will work but it but it is made for the bigger rifle calibers 30-06.

Here are the items that are a must:

Tumbler for the for the brass

case lube

case trimmer

a digital scale (regardless of what people tell you, much faster and more accurate then a triple beam scale that comes in the kit)

A RELOADING BOOK!!!!!! DO NOT LOAD ONE BULLET WITHOUT READING IT!!!!

a bullet hammer (You take apart bullets with it)

If you go with Lee you will be in for about 300, if you go with a RCBS figure around 600 easy. Here is what I did, I went with a Lee turret press first to see if I liked it. I did so then I went with the RCBS press. The good news is once you have the press dialed in you can produce a lot of bullets.

The next question is why do you want to make bullets?

Because they are cheaper to make than to buy them NOT TRUE!!

But you can make real match grade bullets for your guns and really dial them in. I make 308 bullets that can hit a tack at 300 yards over and over. I also reload for my M1 Garand, Carbine, 1901 Springfield without worrying.

I have been wanting to reload my own ammo for quite some time now but have never got around to buying the equipment and supplies. I was wondering if there were any reloading presses/dies/kits out there that were better than others? I work with a guy who mainly uses RCBS equipment but also has some Lee stuff too. I don't want to spend a fortune but would be willing to spend a decent amount of money on a nice reloading set up. Also, where is the best place to store the powder when not in use? I have a garage that is heated by a woodstove and planned on reloading in there (opposite side of the room). Any suggestions or feedback would be helpful.

You have already got some great tips from the guys here. RCBS is a no-brainer for a kit. Although, Redding is a NYS company and they are a bunch of great people to deal with. Can't go wrong with either.

I really enjoy reloading and shooting fodder I rolled myself. Welcome to a great hobby!

the powder measure is a great tool . they are quite accurate . I would measure each charge and then every 5th charge and they would all come out the same . It eliminated a lot of weighing .

Check the powders . I found that I could use the same powder for 223 and the 7-30 waters .

should you make a trip to southern vermont in late April each year a local shop here Lost Target Shooting Supplies brings in the Hornady factory folks and others, like Lee, rcbs etc and they do a 2 day demonstration, with meals and beverages, and they show all their new stuff, sell it at a good price and any sets or gear bought the factory guys set it up for you and get you reloading right there before you leave for home with your goodies.

I didnt make it last year or the year before as it was weekends I ahd guests for bowfishing and turkey hunting but the year before that I went to see the new toys, I hadnt bought a reloading tool in 40 years and wanted to see the new stuff, it was all very impressive and the folks were top notch as was the food and the shooting, Lost Target has a range right there on 90 acres with traps and handgun etc.

Jim is the owner and he and his wife Barb (cant recall their last names ) treated the 30 or so men and women that showed up like family, and keep in mind Orvis and the American Museum of Flyfishing as well as Vermont COuntry Stores are right there too.

I highly recommend it.

I have been reloading for many years, here is what I can tell you. I have a Lee press for pistol it is great for the money. Since you are going in the 30 cal way go with RCBS as it is a better press for those sizes. A progressive press is the best way to go but it cost a lot more. A Lee turret press will work but it but it is made for the bigger rifle calibers 30-06.

Here are the items that are a must:

Tumbler for the for the brass

case lube

case trimmer

a digital scale (regardless of what people tell you, much faster and more accurate then a triple beam scale that comes in the kit)

A RELOADING BOOK!!!!!! DO NOT LOAD ONE BULLET WITHOUT READING IT!!!!

a bullet hammer (You take apart bullets with it)

If you go with Lee you will be in for about 300, if you go with a RCBS figure around 600 easy. Here is what I did, I went with a Lee turret press first to see if I liked it. I did so then I went with the RCBS press. The good news is once you have the press dialed in you can produce a lot of bullets.

The next question is why do you want to make bullets?

Because they are cheaper to make than to buy them NOT TRUE!!

But you can make real match grade bullets for your guns and really dial them in. I make 308 bullets that can hit a tack at 300 yards over and over. I also reload for my M1 Garand, Carbine, 1901 Springfield without worrying.

I want to primarily reload so I can get better groups. I love shooting my 22-250 and can shoot decent groups with factory loads (~.6 inches) at 100 yards but I know if I were to reload myself I could probably shoot .15-.2 inch groups or less. Nothing more impressive than putting 2 bullets through the same hole!