New to hunting

Hi. I am interested in picking up the art of hunting deer. I am fairly new to NY(hudson valley) area. I still haven't decided on a caliber yet .308 or 30-06.Also are there any good public lands in the area for the sport? I am mainly interested in hunting whitetail, and not much more at this time. Thanks for your replies

Welcome to the sport...

I live in western NY, so I can't help with hunting spots in your area..

However, as far as choosing between a .308 and a 30-06 for deer hunting, flip a coin.. One is as good as the other, and any deer you shoot with either chambering will never know the difference.

The .308 , due to its short action chambering, is available in somewhat shorter and lighter rifles than the standard length 30-06. Other than that, it's a WASH. There are many factory loads available for both...

Welcome to the sport...

I live in western NY, so I can't help with hunting spots in your area..

However, as far as choosing between a .308 and a 30-06 for deer hunting, flip a coin.. One is as good as the other, and any deer you shoot with either chambering will never know the difference.

The .308 , due to its short action chambering, is available in somewhat shorter and lighter rifles than the standard length 30-06. Other than that, it's a WASH. There are many factory loads available for both...

I agree. The only thing I would add to that is that the .308 is inherently more accurate than the 30-06, burns a little less powder if reloaded, and slightly less recoil.

Rifle choice aside......

If you are from Lake Katrine you have access to lots of State land in close proximity. Some can be productive; other areas not so much. It might get discouraging at times especially for a newbie; and this year with a poor acorn crop, even for seasoned vets.

There are many local hunting clubs close to you; I would suggest finding one and maybe pick up some help starting out.

• Like 1

This is the link to the NYS DEC web site public access. I would figure you would want region #3. Possible 4 depending where in the Valley you are... Great information on the site... http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/34531.html

Make sure you check all the regulation for the area you will hunt as not all area's allow rifles. Best of luck and welcome to the hunting community!!!

PS: If you are new to Hunting I highly recommend reading some books and tagging up with an experianced hunter your 1st couple of times out. Avid hunters make the introduction easy with thier vast knowledge of what is need in so far as equipment, clothes, preperation and overall wisdom of the woods that they might pass on. You just might get a life long friend in the process...