WNYBuckHunter's Outdoor Journal

Can't go this year. I agreed to attend a fundraiser for my kids school - that will not be near as fun. Have fun at the banquet.

Ahh. Bummer you won't be there this year. You're missing out on some awesome games and prizes this year. Redneck blind, more guns than we've ever had, etc etc. You have to put the kids first though, enjoy!

Haley and I got out for a few hours Sunday morning. We had a couple of gobblers going early, they were both pretty far away. Saw a bunch of deer, but that was about it. It was fun just to get in the woods with her. Everytime the turkeys gobbled back at us, or she heard any sound out of the ordinary, her eyes just lit up. I dont think its gonna take much to get her completely hooked. Shes pumped to get back out there this Sunday too.

This week Im gonna be doing a little more scouting to see if I cant hone in on where these birds are roosting so we can try to get closer to them.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I havent had much luck with the turkeys so far, but Sunday I got out on Conesus Lake with a buddy and we had a pretty good afternoon. It was a little slow after the cold front that came through the night before, but we caught some decent pike and largemouth. Two of the largemouth weighed over the 5lb mark.

post-8-0-17764100-1462834945_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-67534600-1462834944_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-06360900-1462834944_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Haley and I were invited to head out to hunt with Doewhacker, so we packed up our stuff Friday evening, and woke up extra early Saturday to head out there. We arrived at the hunting area that Jim sent to me, said hello to Jim and his son, and got our gear on. We headed up the hill and he made a quick call. We heard our first gobble, so we all sat down under a large pine tree and waited while Jim called. No birds showed so we decided to head to another area to call. Jim called and we heard a gobble or two come from the next hill over. We headed in that direction, slowly making our way up a tractor road and keeping an eye out for birds ahead. Eventually we got to a cut corn field and spotted a flock. We all hunkered down along a creek bed and Jim started calling and scratching in the leaves. The gobblers started firing off at us, and began to head in our direction, but never came in for a shot. A couple of hens came in to check Jim out, and the gobblers ended up leaving the field. Heres a quick video I took while getting ready.

http://vid95.photobucket.com/albums/l160/jwolfe1976/3CC55154-AD0E-4CDA-81C0-B7C1D6B78BA4_zpsysjtelxh.mp4

After that, we decided to head into town and grab some breakfast. On our way to town we noticed some birds in a field on the other side of the property from where we had been. They were still there on our way back, so we geared up and headed that way. Unfortunately I think we bumped them on the way in, as we saw one turkey run through the woods. The rest of the morning, we hiked the hill calling for birds, but no such luck.

Sunday morning, I couldnt get Haley to get out of bed, so Jim and I grabbed our gear and headed to s spot a few minutes from his house where he had gained permission for. He had been seeing birds there every day on the way to work. We setup the blind and decoys and he proceeded to call. We got responses from 2 sets of birds, one that was close by and another at the other end of the field. The turkeys were gobbling up a storm, and then eventually went quiet. Within a few minutes, we could see 3 birds at the end of the field. A hen and 2 toms, then another hen and a jake came out not far from them. We watched them work toward us, the one tom strutting and gobbling at the one hen. Jim called and they kept working slowly toward us. Once the got about half way through the field, 3 jakes showed up out of nowhere on a dead run toward the one hen. The two long beards cut them off and started fighting. After that they all kept working our way. Strutting, gobbling, drumming, hissing, it was really cool to see, as Ive never seen any of that in person. We had a hen 5 feet from the blind for the longest time, and a double bearded jake crossed in front of us at maybe 15 to 20 yards. After an hour and a half from the time we first spotted them, we finally had the long beards in front of us. We figured they were in range, so we got ready to take the shot. Once both of them cleared the rest of the turkeys we pulled the triggers. I watched as the gobbler I shot at fell to his side, with a cloud of dust in front of him, then got right back up and took off. I couldnt believe it. Jims bird took off as well. After all of the turkeys cleared the field, we went and looked, but couldnt really see where the shots had hit the ground. All we found was one feather. Im not 100% on what went wrong, but I think they may have been just out of range and the shot wasnt enough to kill them. I think both of us will be replaying the shots in our heads for a while. Heres a few pics from that morning.

F55B6834-063B-4A8E-A27D-DE2A3E43797B_zps

9B2B7420-D64A-49CF-9305-189936852C58_zps

D58D055D-27A8-47E0-9C81-71722339DE69_zps

CD6B0F08-3CDB-4517-8596-E058E255AE51_zps

We left the area for a couple of hours and came back with Haley and Jims daughter in tow to give it one last try. There was a gobbler out in the field with a hen when we got there. We were able to get to a small hedgerow and tried to call him in, but he kept moving off to the back of the field. He finally got past a rise in the field so we got the girls and snuck as close to the top as we could, and setup the blind and decoys. Jim called, and he gobbled, but kept heading toward the woods, as it was getting pretty hot out.

It was a great weekend, with lots of action. Definitely more than I had had on any previous turkey hunt, and now Im hooked, as is Haley. Time to start learning more and gearing up for next spring!

• Like 6

That hunt was probably the best I have had as far seeing things that turkeys do. The only thing it was missing was dead birds at the end.

They were all right back there this morning by the way.

Can't wait till next year!

Absolutely! Maybe that double bearded jake will be a really nice bird by then!

• 2 weeks later...

I got out fishing with my buddy on Conesus yesterday. The fish are spawning and laying on beds, so the action was pretty slow. We did catch a good variety of fish though, bluegills, rock bass, largemouth, smallmouth, perch and northerns. I had one of the biggest nothererns Ive seen in quite some time roll on my jerkbait just as I got it to the boat. Now that I think about it, it could have been a muskie. It was pretty light colored. No really big bass this time, a few in the 3lb range and the biggest smallie was probably just over 2 1/2, but I didnt weigh that one.

• Like 4

I got out fishing with my buddy on Conesus yesterday. The fish are spawning and laying on beds, so the action was pretty slow. We did catch a good variety of fish though, bluegills, rock bass, largemouth, smallmouth, perch and northerns. I had one of the biggest nothererns Ive seen in quite some time roll on my jerkbait just as I got it to the boat. Now that I think about it, it could have been a muskie. It was pretty light colored. No really big bass this time, a few in the 3lb range and the biggest smallie was probably just over 2 1/2, but I didnt weigh that one.

I rode rode Lakeville this morning and that lake looked like it wasn't fit for man nor beast.  Yesterday must have been sweet...................................

I rode rode Lakeville this morning and that lake looked like it wasn't fit for man nor beast.  Yesterday must have been sweet...................................

It was a little wavy first thing, then the light breeze died and it was like glass. Wind and boat traffic picked up in the afternoon and it got a little rough.

This past Friday I got back from a business trip to Nashville in the afternoon, and was out on a friends boat on Honeoye Lake around 7pm or so. Caught some largemouth and a perch on a jerk bait and then switched to top water just before sunset. We caught so many on topwater that we quit counting after 10 or 15 minutes. It was a great time! Heres a pic that one of the guys snapped.

IMG_6368_zpsrjijxg67.jpg

Sunday, I headed down to the farms and got 4 of my trail cams setup. I used some home made screw in mounts, which were great setting up. We will see how well they hold up.

• Like 3