savage 99

whitetail1

anyone use a model 99 and what caliber

I HOPE to use mine someday. It's been a safe queen for the last ten years or so which is when I bought it from someone's collection. It goes to the range occasionally, but that's about it. I think they are classic rifles. 

Pre-war 1939 99R in .300 Savage:

utf-8BSU1HMDA3NjkuanBn.jpg

utf-8BL0RldmljZSBNZW1vcnkvaG9tZS-20.jpg

I don't have one and if I did I'd sell it!    :)

Seriously, they are cool rifles and they must have been an engineering marvel at the time of manufacture.  I remember an older guy that we hunted PA with every year that used one.  I would always chuckle to myself at the "old timer" with a gun I would never carry.  Well, every time a buck went by him, it got a free ride out of the woods.  Never missed with the Model 99.  I believe it was a .308 but can't be sure.

Another friend of mine just went crazy a few months ago and bought 7 or 8 Model 99's from a local seller and online.  He went bonkers for them!!

• 2 weeks later...

I now own two savage 99's both pre mil  one in 300 which was my dad's.  he bought it new in 1949.  I just loaded some 150 grainers for tonight with IMR 4895.  The othe ris a pre mil in 250-3000 savage. This cartridge is now known s the 250 savage.  This one was my mothers. I have inherited both.  The 99 has a scope on it, the 250 has open sights.  I have taken a few deer with the 300, but none yet with the 250-3000.  I prefer to look at them and fondly remember the times  I had in my younger years hunting with my family. I reload for both and both shoot very well

• 2 months later...

I took a doe with the model 99 300 savage this evening.  paced off 125 yards. I was usung 150 grain hornady bullets with 39 grains of IMR 4895.  Well long story short she fell in a pile.  I love the caliber.  I havd a barrel custom made fo rmy encore, but sold it.  I kick my butt ever since. 

Quality Cartridge http://www.qual-cart.com/ loads .303 Savage with the correct headstamp.  I bought a couple boxes for my brother and it seems to shoot well.

I don't know if you ever go to the gunshow at the fairgrounds in Syracuse but there is a guy there (usually in one of the side rooms) who sells all the reloaded ammo; I asked him one time and he told me he made brass and loaded them from .30-30 brass.  He said he only did it for himself if I remember correctly, because they had the wrong headstamp and he didn't want someone to try to use them in, or reload them for, a .30-30 and have an accident.

I resized some 308 into 300 savage.  I am not sure about the 303, but the 300 is a rimless cartridge, and the 30-30 is rimmed, so it would not work. Actually the 308 was a resized 300 savage with a longer neck.  It is an awesome cartridge.