More home butchering

dbHunterNY

Processed up some more here at home. Did send out 20lbs of ground not in the picture to an Italian deli to get turned into sausage. Its great doing your own despite its a lot of work.

Tri-tip, brisket, top round, tenderloins, NY strip, ribeye, chuck.... you name it you can do it how you want it.

20201209_195154.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 12

Got a pic of the NY strip? Does it have any fat in it?
I am a complete novice.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Actually its all part of the backstrap. Neck to ass you have chuck, ribeye, strip, and then sirloin in that order. Like almost any venison cuts its very well trimmed and venison doesn't really have marbling. So no fat.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Very nice. Could you elaborate on your:

Venison to pork (?) ratio

Grind. 1X? 2X? Plate size?

Casings. Size? Hog? Sheep?

Recipe. Yours? Mix?

Thanks 

7 minutes ago, First-light said:

How many deer was that?

two adult doe. 2.5 yrs old and 4.5-5.5 yrs old (can't recall what I decided on looking at the jawbone as i look at a lot). right at 80 lbs of venison between the two and together 37ish% of total hanging weight with the hide on.

ground for burgers i make on the fly without bread crumbs or anything fancy i might not always have, so it's 24lbs of venison to 6lbs bulk bacon ends and pieces. I grind both together with a 10mm plate and 2nd time with a 4.5 mm plate which still has texture and doesn't turn into a dense meat patty if you don't handle it a ton.

sausage I had made by a local italian deli but based on weight it was 3:1 venison to pork fat. i brought them plain venison that was ground same way as burger but they grind again to add pork fat and some of the seasonings. they're like a brat size so i'm pretty sure they're hog casings. thinner breakfast sausage typically from sheep casings. not sure of their seasoning recipe. just tried a link in the air fryer. got preoccupied and over cooked it up to 200 degrees and it didn't end up overly dry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

two adult doe. 2.5 yrs old and 4.5-5.5 yrs old (can't recall what I decided on looking at the jawbone as i look at a lot). right at 80 lbs of venison between the two and together 37ish% of total hanging weight with the hide on.

ground for burgers i make on the fly without bread crumbs or anything fancy i might not always have, so it's 24lbs of venison to 6lbs bulk bacon ends and pieces. I grind both together with a 10mm plate and 2nd time with a 4.5 mm plate which still has texture and doesn't turn into a dense meat patty if you don't handle it a ton.

sausage I had made by a local italian deli but based on weight it was 3:1 venison to pork fat. i brought them plain venison that was ground same way as burger but they grind again to add pork fat and some of the seasonings. they're like a brat size so i'm pretty sure they're hog casings. thinner breakfast sausage typically from sheep casings. not sure of their seasoning recipe. just tried a link in the air fryer. got preoccupied and over cooked it up to 200 degrees and it didn't end up overly dry.

Very impressed!

9 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

I also use bacon ends and peices ground into my burgers.  Only way I will do it now.  I use that same ratio.  The ones I get come in 3lb packs so put 12 pounds of ground with it and it's perfect.  I usually throw in an onion soup mix and a few dashes of worchishire .  

I also use bacon ends and peices ground into my burgers.  Only way I will do it now.  I use that same ratio.  The ones I get come in 3lb packs so put 12 pounds of ground with it and it's perfect.  I usually throw in an onion soup mix and a few dashes of worchishire .  
From Walmart because all the mom and pop sources were out or had it reserved to use it up for something.

20201213_093245.jpg

• Like 1