something i just came across while trolling the internet

Red

The law in NYS restricts possession of loaded firearm, handgun or long gun OUTSIDE the home. There is no restriction on possession of loaded firearm inside the home. Of course if police are called on a domestic dispute and they discover the firearm or you voluntarily disclose it, the police are required to confiscate the firearm pending the investigation.

Deerthug....I think my concealed carry permit allows me to carry my firearm concealed and loaded in MOST places in public and private. I am aware that there are certain places , such as schools, certain public buildings like courthouses, etc. where it is not allowed. I do know that it is legal for me to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle. Of course, this does not apply to Westchester County or NYC...

But like i said if it isnt a law then my father was screwed over. I can admit if im wrong and in this case i am.

Officers are ( and should be) allowed some judgement calls depending on extenuating circumstances.

Perhaps the police felt that there was something more involved in your Dad's case than a medical emergency.

In any case, if he possesed the firearm legally and there were no other violations involved, he should be able to get his handgun back with no hassle.

some of the "authorities" are funny when it comes to handguns. my wife's uncle got a dwi a few years ago and it was his first arrest ever he was not possessing any weapons at the time and they took his pistol permit . as far as I'm concerned oh well they are allowed to do that not much you can do. where it got funny is he was told by the judge he had so much time to turn all of his pistols into the local sheriff's department. he then asked the judge if he could give them to my father in law in a different county 6 hours away and the judge said absolutely not he had to turn the pistols in to be destroyed . well he had to go to court again because he felt it wasn't right that he couldn't give them to my father in law and the judge tied it up in court for months the only reason the judge wasn't successful was all of the pistols were already on both her uncles and my father in law's pistol permits so the judge could not stop him. That judge wanted those pistols destroyed he didn't care if it wasn't right.