Vortex crossfire 2 , 2-7by 32 rifle scope your thoughts ?

Save your money and buy a Leupold VX ii with a heavy duplex.

BDC reticles are snake oil. They will do nothing the 3 aiming points that a regular old Duplex reticle won't do and the Duplex can be used to estimate range.

When a company offers free replacement rather than repair, that should tell you that the cheap Chinese junk isn't worth repairing. The profits margins are so high they just throw them away and send you another cheap replacement.

It only took Leupold 7 days to repair and return my scope the one time I had to send one in for repairs.

Plus Leupold warranties any scope regardless of where when or how it was purchase new or used.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

Save your money and buy a Leupold VX ii with a heavy duplex.

BDC reticles are snake oil. They will do nothing the 3 aiming points that a regular old Duplex reticle won't do and the Duplex can be used to estimate range.

When a company offers free replacement rather than repair, that should tell you that the cheap Chinese junk isn't worth repairing. The profits margins are so high they just throw them away and send you another cheap replacement.

It only took Leupold 7 days to repair and return my scope the one time I had to send one in for repairs.

Plus Leupold warranties any scope regardless of where when or how it was purchase new or used.

I know many guys on here like the Vortex, and I readily admit I have no experience with them...

However, all of my scopes are Leupold except  two Burris....Nothing has ever gone wrong with them and if it does I know the company will take care of it, despite the fact that I have bought all of them used...

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 3:41 PM, Pygmy said:

I know many guys on here like the Vortex, and I readily admit I have no experience with them...

However, all of my scopes are Leupold except  two Burris....Nothing has ever gone wrong with them and if it does I know the company will take care of it, despite the fact that I have bought all of them used...

The only experience I have with Vortex is looking through several moderately priced specimens at the local rifle range.

When comparing them to similar price point Leupolds, the optics were dismal.

The BDC reticles appear "cluttered" and it would be easy to get confused in the heat of the moment when a shot suddenly presents itself. Unless one knows the BC of the projectile, the Mv and the distance of the LOS above the bore axis, putting faith in the POI is ludicrous.  A standard, or perhaps wide, duplex reticle will give a shooter 3  quickly identifiable aim points.

If you know the 3 factors listed above as well as the reticle subtention, (gap)  a duplex  reticle can be used as a BDC reticle. The reticle subtention can also be used as a range estimating device.

Vortex is selling godets and gismos(BDCs) to lure the less informed to buy their mediocre products when a better product without the snake oil is available. 

I own several Leuplolds (American made with Japanese glass)  one Japanese made Weaver and an Austrian made Kahles. The Japanese and Europeans (Germany/Austria) make the best optical glass in the world.  Both of these places a manufacture have higher labor costs that the USA so I am not cutting the throats of American workers like Vortex buyers are doing, especially when one considers that there hasn't been a quality optical glass maker in the USA for nearly a century

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bunch of Vortex scopes. My muzzleloader and 308 deer rifle currently have Crossfire II 3-9x40s on them. Both are Mildot reticles, as I’m not a fan of BDC reticles. They are great scopes, especially for the money. If you were to buy a more expensive scope, look at the Viper HS line from Vortex. You simply get more for your money with Vortex when you are comparing new scopes. 

1 hour ago, wildcat junkie said:

That's not true when it comes to optical quality.

And, that thinking is why our manufacturing jobs are all going to China.

Is there a great optics company in the US? I don't see your point here.

Edit - saw your post above. A job abroad is a job abroad.

Even Zeiss has leveraged China. Is what it is, I guess.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

I've had quite an array of scopes over the years. I currently have Leupold, Vortex and Burris. The last 4 scopes I bought were Vortex and I have no issues with them. I have the Crossfire ll and they are good. Buddy had one that the crosshair broke on his ML. He bought it second hand.  We were going on a hunt up north and they had him a new scope is 4 days....even before they received his broken one back. Maybe it becasue they are "cheap" like Wild cat says but they haven't failed me, they serviced him well and I haven't had an occasion where I couldn't make a shot because of the scope.  Despite what Wildcat said...they will warranty even if you weren't the original buyer

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 9:49 AM, wildcat junkie said:

That's not true when it comes to optical quality.

And, that thinking is why our manufacturing jobs are all going to China.

Absolutely it is. I’ve compared my entry level Vortex scopes to most other entry level scopes side by side and haven’t found any others that can match the quality of the glass and features available for the same price. I have A couple of higher end Vortex with Japanese glass and have compared those with a few others in the same price range, with similar results as the entry level.