Ladderstand Deterrant

Something that ticks me off is to go to one of my stands on private property and see junk on the ground where my stand is placed . Cig butts , candy wrappers etc . this is property where no one else has permission to hunt and someone is leaving garbage there . So this is what I have done with a couple stands .

Here is a pic of what the top part of a ladder stand would look like . I used the quick connect clips on the rear brace instead of the bolts .

I removed the pins , swung the platform down , lined up the bolt hole and drilled a hole through the ladder leg

I bought a Brinks lock with a long shank

I can now lock the platform so the stand cannot be used . I carry the clips in my backpack along with the key . It's only a deterrant and someone might get angry and trash my stand but they sure as hell won't use it !

The stand is about 500 yards from the road , 150 yards from the East property and over 200 yards from the West property . Someone found it a couple years ago and used it . I took a portable drill and drilled the hole so I could lock it . I was surprised to see that someone had been in there as my sister in law hasn't let anyone else hunt her 69 acres . It was definately a tresspasser . At least the person didn't trash the stand when he couldn't get in it anymore .

Another thing that you could try if you continue to have problems is ripping down a piece of plywood to the ladder width. Then put it on hinges and put a lock set on the opposite side. So you can lock the wood down to the ladder when your not there and then just unlock and swing open when its time to use. 

CNY

• Like 1

Another thing that you could try if you continue to have problems is ripping down a piece of plywood to the ladder width. Then put it on hinges and put a lock set on the opposite side. So you can lock the wood down to the ladder when your not there and then just unlock and swing open when its time to use.  CNY

I havn't had any problems since I installed the lock ........

What would be great fun would be to take one of these solar electric fencers, hide it somewhere up above the stand and run wire down to the stand. To make the set-up complete, you might want a trail cam set up somewhere nearby just to see the fun. Wouldn't be so great on a ladderstand, but sure would be fun with a metal strap-on treestand....... ;D  Might look a bit like a the coyote on a roadrunner cartoon

Doc

What would be great fun would be to take one of these solar electric fencers, hide it somewhere up above the stand and run wire down to the stand. To make the set-up complete, you might want a trail cam set up somewhere nearby just to see the fun. Wouldn't be so great on a ladderstand, but sure would be fun with a metal strap-on treestand....... ;D  Might look a bit like a the coyote on a roadrunner cartoon

Doc

It sure sounds like a fun thing to do but i'd hate to be responsible for someone getting hurt and wanting to sue me . Gotta be safe .

• 4 weeks later...

good fix!

i hate when you spend all thew time scouting and buying tree stands and hanging them only to find out that some lazy cheap ass hunter(s) are using them... i mean how lazy can you be? go hang your own set. it is even worse when that hunter is not even supposed to be on the land.

Well Eddie....I placed a stand on the new land right where I know ....from neighbors observations over the years....has been hunted.....so I cable and chain locked it and cut a path from the road side  that know one can really see ...it will be a mile hike to get to it ...so no one will see a car....any how I have tried your fix and like it .but the pins make a bit of noise....so I bought heat shrink...and covered the pins in heat shrink and placed duck tape on the hanging bars  too cut noise....I also ty-strap the platform....just cut it and replace with a new one...they are cheap ......Thanks for the idea

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a funny story and some people might not find it ok but you can talk with my uncle about that.  Anyways he is very agreeing with any hunter who asks for permission to hunt his land.  He will not say no unless there is a bunch of people already with permission.  He doesn't want the place over populated.  He was out back one time and saw a wood stand that was put up without his permission.  So he went and grabbed a chain saw and cut it so if you were to walk up it you would fall when you got to the top.  You really couldn't see that it was cut from the ground.  I dont know if anyone took the bait or not though.  Another story that I find pretty funny was that from my uncles house you can see one big tree that is straight back.  It has a huge croch in it and every year on opening day there would be someone standing in that tree with his gun in hand looking to shoot.  In front of that tree is all goldenrod and thick cover.  Other hunters would be pushing deer to him.  None of these people had permission to hunt.  So my uncle sends his two kids out with a horn that makes a siren sound and had them sneak behind his barn so that the hunters could hear it but not see them.  Well they haven't been back since then. LOL.