A Johns Hopkins professor predicts the US will reach herd immunity by April

phantom

The US's daily coronavirus cases have declined 65% in the last month — a record drop in the course of the nation's outbreak. New cases reached an all-time high of 312,000 on January 8. Since then, they've fallen to a weekly average of around 73,000 per day.

Dr. Martin Makary, a professor of surgery at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, suggested in The Wall Street Journal that the most likely explanation for the decline is that the US could be close to reaching herd immunity.

In a Thursday op-ed, Makary predicted that COVID-19 would be "mostly gone" by April.

He wrote that infections have likely been far more widespread than data suggests — so much so, in fact, that the US will soon hit a threshold beyond which the virus won't be able to pass easily from person to person. 

"The consistent and rapid decline in daily cases since January 8 can be explained only by natural immunity," Makary wrote. "Behavior didn't suddenly improve over the holidays; Americans traveled more over Christmas than they had since March."

He added that vaccines "don't explain the steep decline" since early January, because "vaccination rates were low and they take weeks to kick in." 

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Fauci will be along to crap on this theory shortly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lol.  He was just on ABC news doing circles looking for the right spot 2 minutes ago. 

He said masks thru December and maybe into 2022. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

They are going to reference these flu "stats" and make us wear masks every year.

I’ve been trying out ones that are supposed to be easier to breath through . Mrs Nomad has copd, I’m trying to get her to go to FLA where all her friends moved to ,but she doesn’t think she can wear an airline approved mask ( no face shields , neck gators, mesh, or valves ) for the duration of the flight . Not to mention walking any distance in the airport pulling a suitcase , she simply can’t do it with a mask on .

4 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I’ve been trying out ones that are supposed to be easier to breath through . Mrs Nomad has copd, I’m trying to get her to go to FLA where all her friends moved to ,but she doesn’t think she can wear an airline approved mask ( no face shields , neck gators, mesh, or valves ) for the duration of the flight . Not to mention walking any distance in the airport pulling a suitcase , she simply can’t do it with a mask on .

Driving is not an option?

12 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Driving is not an option?

She’s not going to drive down by herself .

Our old Beagle has many health issues and can’t really travel  ,otherwise we’d be down there now . I had to,let him out last night at 1,3,5:30 . If we both leave the house for more then a couple hours , he howls the whole time , and there’s a  maybe 1 in 3 chance he’ll crap on the kitchen floor .

So he’s tying us down , one more thing goes wrong with him and he’s going to be buried on the farm , and we’re flying to an island , well maybe drive to FLA depending on mask rules at airlines then .

Edited by Nomad

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

She’s not going to drive down by herself .

Our old Beagle has many health issues and can’t really travel  ,otherwise we’d be down there now . I had to,let him out last night at 1,3,5:30 . If we both leave the house for more then a couple hours , he howls the whole time , and there’s a  maybe 1 in 3 chance he’ll crap on the kitchen floor .

So he’s tying us down , one more thing goes wrong with him and he’s going to be buried on the farm , and we’re flying to an island .

Of course I meant you driving her, thats too bad about the dog

Drive ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk