Question on sound proofing

As some of you know, I built a mobile turkey decoy out of the base of an electric remote control car. I am quite pleased with the decoy, however, I cannot figure out a way to muffle the sound of the moving gears. If you watch the short video clips below you will hear the noise it makes. I want to muffle the noise as much as possible to prevent spooking the Toms this coming spring.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can muffle the gear noise?

http://s1099.photobu...nt=1481b6a4.mp4

http://s1099.photobu...nt=f97461d1.mp4

These clips were taken in my basement without any other noise. The decoy will be used in the field where I hunt and I know there will be other noises and even some wind. I am not looking to mute the sound but to muffle it as much as possible.

Edited by Deerthug

try encloseing it as much as you can then put the decoy over it,& possibly stuff the decoy with foam/something lite maybe ? good luck, nice idea .

How about placing aluminum foil over it to act as a barrier and spray foam on top of it. That is good for sound and can be shaped, sanded and p[ainted as you need to

Both good ideas! Wondering though if the spray on foam would stick to the aluminum foil?? I have some of that "gap sealer foam" i'm going to test on a piece of aluminum to see how it works.

Hunter49, what would you recommend to use to enclose the base with?

Is that thing going to be legal? Motorizied decoys for waterfowl are not. I know you don't have any amplified calls coming from it but, wow. I think your pushing it a bit.

Regardless, I wouldn't hunt with that thing near me. Great way to get shot........................

You insured?

As usual, I'm probably missing part of the story. Fill me in!

Edited by Lawdwaz

Is that thing going to be legal? Motorizied decoys for waterfowl are not. I know you don't have any amplified calls coming from it but, wow. I think your pushing it a bit.

Regardless, I wouldn't hunt with that thing near me. Great way to get shot........................

You insured?

I hunt private land and we all know where we are set up. So I'm not concerned.

I don't hunt waterfowl but I checked the regs. It does not say you CAN'T use motorized decoys. Same for the turkey regs. It's silent on use of motorized decoys.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28175.html. Waterfowl regs

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/32162.html. Turkey regs

Eventhough the regs were silent, many people thought that a bow mounted range finder was illegal in NY. I proved it otherwise with proof from DEC. I will be sending another email to the DEC about motorized turkey decoys. I'll update with their reply.

Ok here is my email inquiry to the DEC:

Dear Ms. Montalvo,

Thank you for your reply regarding the use of a bow mounted range finder for hunting purposes in New York State. It was very informative and it has cleared up a lot of different opinions.

I am now inquiring as to whether or not one can use a motorized turkey decoy while hunting for spring or fall turkey in NYS. Essentially what I am referring to is affixing a turkey decoy on top of the base of child’s battery operated remote controlled car that is used while hunting to mimic lifelike movement for purposes of luring gobblers into shotgun or bow range. My research on this topic has also revealed differing opinions. I would appreciate clarification on this issue as well.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,

Jordan Masiakos

Lets see what she says . . . .

• Like 1

Yupperz! I don't get to go out turkey hunting too much in the spring being that I can only go up on weekends and both Mothers day and my wedding anniv fall on the same day and I'm an assistant coach for my sons little league team with the heart of the season in May. So whatever advantage I can get legally to fill my tags I'm going to take it. Lol.

Spring turkey season can bring out some "stalkers" . Guys will hear a hen turkey call and start stalking it. Lord knows I've had guys sneak in on my calling. Very scary stuff when your sitting still, with your back to tree and you see a shadowy figure sneeking in on a hen call that your making. Add a real gobbler gobbling in the distance and guys get a bit anxious and loose the few marbles the might have left in their melon.

I've never been shot at but I've been stalked more than a few times on VERY private property by guys trespassing and it'll scare the B-jeezuz out of you.

If you use that decoy, with a BEARD of all things, honestly, your taking a VERY dangerous step.

It ain't worth it, I promise you.

I appreciate the concern but how is that any different than having a couple of stationary decoys 20 yards out in front of your blind with a gobbler gobbling in the distance and you're making hen yelps. If there's going to be some yahoo out there trespassing and stalking I don't think it matters much whether you're using stationary or mobile decoys. Does having a mobile decoy increase the risk of injury much more than stationary decoys? I really don't think so. Once a yahoo always a yahoo.

sounds like a very inovating idea actualy. I would buy one plus they make rc cars that make very little sound if not none. And like fastedddi said putting a call on their would be very sweet.

I'm sure they do have quieter ones. But ths one was sitting around in my son's pile of "misfit toys" which he has not played with for few years. This was my idea of a prototype to test out and get some feedback on before I went out and dropped some cash on a more expensive but quieter one.

You insured?

When did they make the robo ducks illegal? I have not heard that..

Ok so I used some spray on foam on a 12" x 12" piece of aluminum and let it dry. BTW Culvercreek the aluminum peeled off easily once it dried.

Anyway, I tried every which way from here till Tuesday but could not figure out a way to muffle the sound with the foam. Then I realized its actually coming from the tires/wheels as they turn and not the motor. Back to the drawing board or maybe I'll just move it enough to bring the Tom's into range and then stop moving it. I figure 25-35yards away from the decoy would be good enough to take a shot with my shotgun.