Pond full

We didn't get a whole lot of snow this winter, but there was plenty of melt to fill my pond to full capacity (second photo).  It was getting pretty low by the end of the summer last year (when first photo was taken), and the water depth was not much over a foot by December 1 of last year.

I imagine that the herons got all the fish when it was down low. I will need to restock it this spring, with some fresh lake Ontario bluegills, to keep the skeeters under control.  The creek that runs thru our place dries up every summer and this pond usually draws in some deer then.

20210307_170111.jpg

20210307_160631.jpg

• Like 10

I've love stocking my ponds.  Big boy aquarium.  Catch and release bass and catfish.  All day fun.  Sunnies to feed them and grass crap to control weeds.  Permit is free if you go that way but you do need to buy fish from approved hatchery.  However DEC fish biologist is decent guy and actually helpful.  Yes, I said helpful

19 minutes ago, DDT said:

Get our stock here,

http://www.fingerlakesaquaculture.com/

Good guy. Nice fish.

Get your minnows established first. We submerged some pallets about 3 feet deep with longer legs on the deep side to level them. Minnows reproduce on the bottoms. Ours is spring fed, supports rainbows.

My uncle's cabin (sold now sadly) was directly across the hill, right on top but just south of Hunt Hollow Ski Resort.  The neighbor up on the hill raised grass carp, he may have been affiliated with these fine folks also.

1 hour ago, DDT said:

Get our stock here,

http://www.fingerlakesaquaculture.com/

Good guy. Nice fish.

Get your minnows established first. We submerged some pallets about 3 feet deep with longer legs on the deep side to level them. Minnows reproduce on the bottoms. Ours is spring fed, supports rainbows.

Always wanted a pond of rainbow trout. I've heard they are hard to get to last past a season or two. 

19 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Where you headed to?

I am at San Diego for work all week.  It rained most of the afternoon here, but cleared up the last 1/2 hour of daylight.  The rest of the week forecast looks good.  

I tried a little fishing from the pier tonight, with no action.  I thought the the rain might turn the spotted bass on.  If the job goes ok, I might get time for some more fishing Friday morning.  The temps were in the low 50's today, but supposed to get close to 70 later in the week.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Always wanted a pond of rainbow trout. I've heard they are hard to get to last past a season or two. 

Our pond is spring fed which is a way of keeping rainbows going. They won't reproduce so we put in a few new in the spring. I supplement feed them so they come up top and flip on the surface. Can get a good look at size then. Been 3 years, should try a little fishing this year. Thinking of a few perch this spring to help eat the minnows. There is thousands of minnows as we have a good spawning setup. Last weekend ice is melting back and plenty of minnows in the open edges.

Alotta fun.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I am at San Diego for work all week.  It rained most of the afternoon here, but cleared up the last 1/2 hour of daylight.  The rest of the week forecast looks good.  

I tried a little fishing from the pier tonight, with no action.  I thought the the rain might turn the spotted bass on.  If the job goes ok, I might get time for some more fishing Friday morning.  The temps were in the low 50's today, but supposed to get close to 70 later in the week.

My nephew is in San Diego now. He is a van lifer. Gave up a great house in LaQuinta CA. Travels around and lives in a van. 

1 hour ago, mlammerhirt said:

We need more....is he employed? Family?
Van lifer sounds pretty rough.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

He has a YouTube channel, "Static Campervan". Check it out  Haven't seen him in a few years. Miss him. Only have 2 nephews, he's the saneist one believe it or not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DDT said:

My nephew is in San Diego now. He is a van lifer. Gave up a great house in LaQuinta CA. Travels around and lives in a van. 

There seems to be a lot of that around here.  There was an F-150 with a beat up camper on back and a surf board strapped to the top, when I left the hotel parking lot, before work this morning. 

The door was open and a bunch of stuff was laying around outside including a big glass water jug.  There was an old bedroom window air conditioner hanging off the side of the camper.  I bet the dude wishes he had a furnas instead, because the temps were down in the high 40's before sunrise.

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

There seems to be a lot of that around here.  There was an F-150 with a beat up camper on back and a surf board strapped to the top, when I left the hotel parking lot, before work this morning. 

The door was open and a bunch of stuff was laying around outside including a big glass water jug.  There was an old bedroom window air conditioner hanging off the side of the camper.  I bet the dude wishes he had a furnas instead, because the temps were down in the high 40's before sunrise.

Makes me wonder who the smart one is...

11 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

How rough is the gas mileage once that bad boy is mounted up?

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

No idea, but my 2000 3/4 ton Silverado gets about 12 mpg with the camper on and boat in tow, with a 6 liter gas engine.  That looks like a pre eco-boost Ford.  The side AC unit probably adds to the drag.  I would say he would be lucky to get 10 mpg.

No idea, but my 2000 3/4 ton Silverado gets about 12 mpg with the camper on and boat in tow, with a 6 liter gas engine.  That looks like a pre eco-boost Ford.  The side AC unit probably adds to the drag.  I would say he would be lucky to get 10 mpg.
Ouch! To think I cringe at 23mpg. Man that's rough

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton