City Coon

SteveNY

Riverdale/Kingsbridge area of the Bronx. I've seen skunks, opposums, raccoons, and coyotes. My guess is they follow the metro-north railway that runs along the hudson river. A patch of wood seperates the train tracks from residential homes. They can come down the whole way and never run into people. Once they hit Riverdale which is the bottom of the Bronx, right before Manhattan, that patch of wood ends and they spill out into residential area.

Ha-Ha- We see them alot up where I live (by Oneida Lake) I came home one night about 3yrs ago and found one hanging, by its front legs, from my bird feeder, shaking the seeds down for his two pals on the ground down below

It was funny stuff!!

I wish I can, bkln, but season's never open in NYC. I'm not even mentioning the tons of rock pigeons, starlings, and european sparrows that's every where. The coyote is the main concern. I walk my dog at night and I let her run around the park off the leash. She weights 12 lbs which is the equivalent of a Happy Meal for a coyote.

• Like 1

I have it the worst. I live in Staten Island and on my way home every single day I see the biggest gobblers that I will every see and cannot hunt them not to mention a 10 point 120 class buck that hangs out in the home depot parking lot at night. We also have fox and skunks but only see them as roadkill. My pit/boxer usually keeps the racoons and opossums out of the yard during the summer otherwise I would be infested with them too.

damore81,

I spoke to a DEC officer about the Staten Island Turkey infestation, and was told the same thing; not allowed to be hunted. The City, or DEC is actually forced to pay services to remove these.

On a side note, I came across 6-7 turkeys along the highway on my way down from Stewart. When's Turkey season start?

Yeah, I heard about those gobblers down in staten island and I hear they're causing tons of traffic problems by walking around in the streets, is that right?

They do cause a jam every now and then. Biggest problem is feces on residents lawns, cars and sidewalks. Personally it doesnt bother me. I like having them around but I guess if lived where they are staying then it might get on my nerves. They mostly hang around a big hospital parking lot and lots of people like having them around as well. As of right now the only thing that has been done is some have been trapped and relocated upstate. Other problem is these turkeys have no fear of humans and can get territorial and chase lots of people. Crazy thing to see.

• 4 months later...

Finally got a big of footage of that darn coyote near my park. This is actually the second coyote. Usually they stay so far away I can't take a picture of them but this time, I got between the two of them so when the 1st one ran off, the 2nd one had to go around me to meet back up with the 1st one so he/she got close enough (20 yards or so) for me to take this video with my iPhone and a pocket flashlight I carry to pick up my doggies poo.

coyote.wmv

• 3 weeks later...