New gear

Buckmaster7600

What has everyone got or plan on getting for this years turkey season?

I’ve got a new 20ga. Ordered but I don’t know if it will be here for season or not. It’s a Retay Masai Mara turkey XT. Finally a quality shotgun company has made me a 20ga semi with a shorter barrel. I would rather have 18” but 22 is a lot better than 26”.

It sure seems like many others are seeing the light and switching to 20ga for turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Have you held one with that setup? When I first went to dots that’s what I used for a season and absolutely hated how high it put the dot.

What do you use Buckmaster? I have a Vortex Venom on my Beretta, can't imagine it is much different and I love it....

What do you use Buckmaster? I have a Vortex Venom on my Beretta, can't imagine it is much different and I love it....

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/electronic-sights/mounting-hardware/benelli-m2-m4-sbe-trijicon-rmr-sync-mount-sku100029283-117007-211467.aspx

I would have to measure but I bet it puts the dot at least 3/4” closer to the barrel than a saddle mount setup. I can’t stand having my cheek floating around while looking for a dot. I want to hurry my cheek and have the dot in front of my eye just like you do with a bead.

30 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/electronic-sights/mounting-hardware/benelli-m2-m4-sbe-trijicon-rmr-sync-mount-sku100029283-117007-211467.aspx

I would have to measure but I bet it puts the dot at least 3/4” closer to the barrel than a saddle mount setup. I can’t stand having my cheek floating around while looking for a dot. I want to hurry my cheek and have the dot in front of my eye just like you do with a bead.

Oh, i like that....That would be lower than the Beretta mount for sure but i haven't felt what i have is an issue....

Oh, i like that....That would be lower than the Beretta mount for sure but i haven't felt what i have is an issue....

What do you have now? A rail mounted to the receiver or a saddle mount?

I tend to always have to shoot fast from weird positions do to always running and gunning. If you’ve never done that you’ll likely never notice that you’re having to move your head around to find the dot.

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

What do you have now? A rail mounted to the receiver or a saddle mount?

I tend to always have to shoot fast from weird positions do to always running and gunning. If you’ve never done that you’ll likely never notice that you’re having to move your head around to find the dot.

Amazon.com: A391 Mat Scope Base: Sports & Outdoors

I have this, it isn't a saddle mount. I guess i would say it is a rail mounted to the receiver but it isn't drilled...

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Have you held one with that setup? When I first went to dots that’s what I used for a season and absolutely hated how high it put the dot.

No I haven't.  If I don't like the mount, I'll probably get a Burris speed bead mount. 

https://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/mounts-and-bases/speedbead-mounts

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

My 1187 isn't drilled and tapped is the reason I went with the saddle mount.  Really didn't want to go the gunsmith route.  

• Like 1

My 1187 isn't drilled and tapped is the reason I went with the saddle mount.  Really didn't want to go the gunsmith route.  

That’s the same reason I started with a saddle mount. Getting my old 870 drilled and tapped was the best 30$ I have ever spent for turkey hunting.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mowin said:

I have an aftermarket cantilever on my 11-87.. Fastens to the rib...I've been running a  Leupold 1 x 4  for the last few seasons and I like it..Defintely a lower mount than the saddle mount, ...One disadvantage is that it adds a few ounces to an already heavy gun, but since I do nearly all of my turkey hunting  sitting on a stool in a popup blind it is not a big issue for me..

• Like 1