Fox Den 2021

This is the annual den that's less than 50 yards from our bedroom window. Kits emerged last Thursday night/Friday morning. Most years Momma relocates them after they are mobile enough. Last year her litter hung around til August which was a pain. We have a little dog, an outdoor cat, and a chicken coop 75 yards from the den site. One night in August, there was a commotion and when I flipped on the lights four of them had our cat surrounded. I'll give them a week or so to relocate before I urge them along.

For my urging, I drop a towel soaked with ammonia near one of the den entrances, and a transistor radio in a plastic bag with fresh batteries and on half-volume goes in the hole. They don't like any of that.

210409Emerge08.JPG

210409Emerge07.JPG

210409Emerge11.JPG

• Like 13

1 hour ago, rob-c said:

Very cool, but you may not want to post your kicking them out, don’t forget the rent relief is still in action :derisive:

Haha, I like seeing them. Last year was the first year they stayed more than a week or two. And as they got older, they got bolder.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Pulled some cards yesterday. There were only two kits hanging around until mid-May, and then only one that hung around until the end of May. They are only there periodically now. A few days of high activity and then nothing for a week or two. Except for a woodchuck moving in, it's been all quiet since May 27th. I did see a roadkill kit about a mile down the road a few weeks ago.

Somebody needs to try to lock up their Guinea fowl. I think this is the third one.

210617Gun.jpg

• Like 4