My ruger hawkeye

After a long weekend of shooting I came to the conclusion I like my ruger hawkeye 3006 the best out of the few other rifles I own.Since the first time I picked it up it's always been a perfect fit for me,so i decided to upgrade the scope.I had a leupold vx3i 1.75-6x32mm on it and swapped it out for a vx-3hd 4.5-14x40mm cds-zl I haven't shot with it yet,but like the zero lock and fast focus features a lot.It also has a free cds cap that I have to send away for.I all ready have the bullet/load info just need to do a little more research on the average elevation for new york I keep coming up with 1200ft? I'm going to have it zeroed in for 100yrds.

I'm also thinking of getting the leupold alumina caps.Anyone have the and are they worth it? I hate the butler ceek caps the suck.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/leupold-alumina-flip-back-scope-lens-cover

I've always liked the Ruger M77 family of rifles and felt they never got enough recognition.  Their scope mounting system is rock solid, too.  Simple yet very effective.  I also think the scope is way more than needed for NYS hunting.  I don't like all those bells and whistles on a scope to confuse the hell out of me.  The Hawkeye is a more traditional rifle that would be better matched with a simpler scope in my opinion.  Also, don't you think those scope rings put that scope a bit too high?

8 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Best of luck this season but I dont think you needed a 14x scope for hunting in NY, very rarely you get shots over 2-300 yrds here.

BTW beautiful rifle

7 hours ago, steve863 said:

I've always liked the Ruger M77 family of rifles and felt they never got enough recognition.  Their scope mounting system is rock solid, too.  Simple yet very effective.  I also think the scope is way more than needed for NYS hunting.  I don't like all those bells and whistles on a scope to confuse the hell out of me.  The Hawkeye is a more traditional rifle that would be better matched with a simpler scope in my opinion.  Also, don't you think those scope rings put that scope a bit too high?

I don't just hunt with this rifle.I have a range on my propery with steel gongs set out to 300yds for now but plan on extending it.That's why i like the zero lock on this scope.The fast focus comes off and a cap screw replaces it if i'm not comfortable with it.The scope base and rings are the same exact height as the factory Rings.The problem i had with the last few scopes was the bell would hit the front ring.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, onlybrowning said:

Any interest in selling the 1.75-6x32?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not at this time.I'm going through my safe and deciding what I want and don't.I'll definitely give everyone on here first shot at them when i sort things out.

Congrats, that is a nice rig and a combo that can cover just about any big game hunting you would want to do here in NY and also the rest of the country.

I am a long time Ruger affectionado and for me Ruger 77 series bolt action rifles have one of the best styled factory stocks in both look and function so I can see why you favor that rifle.

Those scope caps mentioned above I never knew existed and are about the fanciest and most expensive I have ever seen, being made by Leupold you know they are quality. When it comes to scope caps I have been for the most part won over by the neoprene sock style that completely covers the scope, while they look dorky they offer the best protection for both the scope body and the lens and do wonders preventing safe dings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rachunter said:

The scope base and rings are the same exact height as the factory Rings.The problem i had with the last few scopes was the bell would hit the front ring.

Looks like you have a picattinny rail on it and the rings sure look considerably higher than on my Ruger, be it an older top tang safety version M77.  I don't think the dimensions of the scope mounting systems have changed with the more current models.

20210821_081108.jpg

4 hours ago, rachunter said:

The problem i had with the last few scopes was the bell would hit the front ring.

I know that problem well, if you can not mount the scope back far enough you will not see a full field of view and the only way of getting around it properly is a scope that has extra long eye relief, higher rings or extension rings that get the placement just right.

My old Ruger heavy barrel 77 220 Swift 12 X Leupold is back as far as it will go , the front bell is just above the barrel and the adjustment turrets almost touching the back scope ring. As it sits I am just barely getting the full field of view and that is with light clothing, being used for summer time chuck and crow hunting. I do not have a heavy thick coat on that might be worn during the cold months and putting the rifle just a bit father away from my eyes. It is something to be taken in consideration when mounting your scopes.

Now I also have a sporter weight 77 in 220 Swift that I do use for cold weather varmint hunting wearing heavier clothes so I needed a scope with long eye relief like the Burris Timberline to get it back far enough for a full field of view and even then it just barely made it with the front bell back as far as it will go before hitting the ring.

Back when these rifles first came out the mounting of a favorite scope could be tough, these days there are options that can make it happen.

Al

2019-12-19_175350.png

2021-07-23_112757.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

I know that problem well, if you can not mount the scope back far enough you will not see a full field of view and the only way of getting around it properly is a scope that has extra long eye relief, higher rings or extension rings that get the placement just right.
My old Ruger heavy barrel 77 220 Swift 12 X Leupold is back as far as it will go , the front bell is just above the barrel and the adjustment turrets almost touching the back scope ring. As it sits I am just barely getting the full field of view and that is with light clothing, being used for summer time chuck and crow hunting. I do not have a heavy thick coat on that might be worn during the cold months and putting the rifle just a bit father away from my eyes. It is something to be taken in consideration when mounting your scopes.
Now I also have a sporter weight 77 in 220 Swift that I do use for cold weather varmint hunting wearing heavier clothes so I needed a scope with long eye relief like the Burris Timberline to get it back far enough for a full field of view and even then it just barely made it with the front bell back as far as it will go before hitting the ring.
Back when these rifles first came out the mounting of a favorite scope could be tough, these days there are options that can make it happen.

Al
2019-12-19_175350.thumb.png.a2728efadc8a9921cac0b2821e7639c2.png
2021-07-23_112757.png.bcf3e5562dc4e5514c9f847473083de3.png

That’s the issue I kept running into the only scope that really went on properly was a 20mm. The vx3 Before this I had to unscrew the eye piece almost off and it still had a foggy ring around the edges. Then I found this guy that makes custom rails and rings.
As for the caps I’m going to order them I read only good reviews. To me it’s my main gun so I don’t mind putting the money into it. I think the 1.75-6 leupold cam with a scope sock but i never used it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you have a picattinny rail on it and the rings sure look considerably higher than on my Ruger, be it an older top tang safety version M77.  I don't think the dimensions of the scope mounting systems have changed with the more current models.
20210821_081108.thumb.jpg.86c4a6e2d1e5cfecfd8589e2943f11a5.jpg

It is a custom rail and rings. I happy with this system it lines up perfect for me.

https://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-M77-MKII-Rifle-Scope-Mounts-No-Drill.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, rachunter said:

It is a custom rail and rings. I happy with this system it lines up perfect for me.

That mounting system should handle just about any scope mounting problem a Ruger 77 would run into, looks like fine quality too. The downside is it does take away from the clean look of the stock Ruger mount.

Al

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rachunter said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

The one big negative for me with these mounts is that they are aluminum. I like steel for high powered rifles.  Interesting that they even tell you not to use them with calibers like .338 Win Mag and larger.  That would rule them out for the rifle I had pictured since it's a .338 Win Mag.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Very nice rig you have there. I have limited experience with those scope caps. My brother in law bought  a set and when tightened the cap flipped up  crooked. It didn’t flip straight up, more like from the 8 o’clock position if that makes sense. 

that was one of my concerns,but there on there way.Hopefully it's not a problem or i'll return them.