Cracked stock repair

Anyone on here ever fixed a cracked stock? My main deer rifle has a crack in the wrist/pistol grip. I’m sure I could do it but just don’t have time right now.

Anyone interested in tackling it or know someone that can?

I’m trying to post pics but it’s not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used Gorilla glue on my T/C Omega 50 cal ML when it cracked in that area about 15 years ago.  It has held up well.  It has a laminated wood stock.

It dont take long to do it.  Just pry open the crack, squeeze in some Gorilla glue, run some water over it, then clamp.  If you have a spare 15 minutes, you should be able to do it.

I used Gorilla glue on my T/C Omega 50 cal ML when it cracked in that area about 15 years ago.  It has held up well.  It has a laminated wood stock.
It dont take long to do it.  Just pry open the crack, squeeze in some Gorilla glue, run some water over it, then clamp.  If you have a spare 15 minutes, you should be able to do it.

Thanks for the info but looking for it to be repaired properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I have done quite a few repairs...properly. The difficult part with this is opening up the crack enough to get the glue in there. What does it look like from the end? 

I would likely take a small drill bit and matching dowel, and drill from the reciever end in along the crack. Slightly pry to open the crack a bit to get glue into it, then tap the dowels in.  Gorilla glue is good, I usually use two part epoxy, but even Elmers is pretty good...you just make sure you seal the wood well. As mentioned by others, fifteen minute project. Make sure in the future you dont tighten down your stock too tight. that is the most common reason for cracks in that area.

To get the repair done right it will cost the same as a replacement. 

Small diameter brass or stainless pins set and epoxied into holes drilled down through the crack. The pins should be sunk below the surface and can be filled and hidden with epoxy or stock finish and sanded sawdust from the stock flush with the surface. The crack itself can be filled with epoxy by using a small diameter hypodermic needle and clamped. Another good idea would be to acra glass the whole mating surface where it meets the receiver action, might have to remove a bit of wood to get enough bedding material on the surface to be effective. Once everything is done the stock can be refinished and the repairs will not be seen.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1