There are no exceptions to SAFETY.

suburbanfarmer

43 minutes ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

I've been pondering this for some time now going on 66. I'm still able bodied but seem less willing to get injured now, brains comes with age I guess. Thinking of reducing my ladder stands down to a safer height, maybe 9 feet and getting creative with additional brushing in. Also looking at possibly going the total ground blind route. 

I'm leaning the same way , I'll probably drag a couple Pallets into my woods and brush them in 2-3 months before Hunting Season starts . Let the local wildlife get used to it !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

I've been pondering this for some time now going on 66. I'm still able bodied but seem less willing to get injured now, brains comes with age I guess. Thinking of reducing my ladder stands down to a safer height, maybe 9 feet and getting creative with additional brushing in. Also looking at possibly going the total ground blind route. 

I put in a couple of these last year, one on a small cherry tree and the other on a big poplar, and they are awesome.  The 48” square platforms are about 9 ft high and made from plastic decking.  The back of the platform is lag-bolted to the tree.  

The two front legs are 8 ft pt landscape timber’s, with concrete blocks below.  The 3 ft high walls are framed with pt 2x4’s and sided with weathered barnwood.  

I use an adjustable, cushioned office chair on the platform.  The walls block the wind, keep me very safe, mostly hidden from the deer, and make great gun rests.  

Cost was minimal, since I had all the materials leftover from other jobs, except the landscape timber’s, which were $ 5.99 ea at Home Depot last spring.

I also paid $ 8 at a barn sale, for the office chair that I shot 3 deer off from last season, from the one on the cherry tree.  That included a 3.5 year old buck.  I also killed my first ever deer in the rain under a tree umbrella, from that stand, on New Year’s Day of this year.  

AFA007CA-45DB-4880-A20B-32CAF0D1E89C.thumb.jpeg.edc78cac5d8cd6719ff1a140e424ec53.jpeg

ED77E58F-D2BD-40B2-901B-D8B508C29918.thumb.jpeg.760d5c722f67bcbd935b24d56f7338a5.jpeg

926A7030-2B0B-4A8B-A822-031B10AC2188.thumb.jpeg.fb31cacfed68a8e63e3fc6032ea8c406.jpeg

0715D017-BECA-45CB-A7A5-86B354138871.thumb.jpeg.f30a6c31e74ac8732b2c4939ff9faa4e.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

That's really nice. And a manageable build since it's not 20 feet up. Good concealment makes up for the lower height. Great ideas.

They were very easy to put up by myself.  I made the platforms in my shop last winter.   I pre-drilled the front corners of the platforms and legs for 1/2” carriage bolts, which I used to attach the front legs to the platforms. 

At the trees, I bolted on the front legs while the platforms were down on the ground, then stood them up, leaning against trees, and lag bolted the platforms to the trees.  After they were up, I framed on the 2x4 walls, tied the legs together with a 2x4, and added the barnwood siding.  

Eventually, I will replace most of my stands with this type, since they are so comfortable to hunt from and effective for killing deer.  They should also be maintenance-free, although I will check the lags every few years and add more as needed.  

• 5 months later...

Wanted to bring this thread back up to the top as a reminder that it will be one yr tomorrow.

I am still no where close to be able to draw a bow. At best can hold 5lb with the arm stretched out. Working with PT so there is hope for late season.

Please be careful while setting up stands or just in general. Have a safe season

• Like 5