Ground blinds

G-Man

Just wondering if anyone else has found out that used artificial christmass trees make great semi- permanant blinds! The do not rot readily and my oldest is now 3 years old. The Best thing is that they are free!! I now have 3 ground blinds made from the limbs and tops or the artificial trees. I simply drive small 1/4 rods of metal or fiberglass electric fence posts(bought a bundle at an auction for few buck used)but any thing could be used conduit, wooden or metal stakes .. and tthen remove limbs from tree and wire onto stakes , bending the metal limbs to create openings to shoot thru. i use the top of the tree as the door and simply shove it into the ground. and pull it out to enter and exit. I good 8' tree can make a decent blind, but i found that two trees seem to work best. making about a 5-6 ' diamater circle that is over head high . The other nice thing is id your target is not quite in the window you've created its very easy to bend the wire limbs quietly to make a new window quickly. yes its open to the weather above but so are my other stands. And if i want to make another one i just keep an eye out around trash day!!!

Oh ya one can get dozens of them in an hour driving around a housing track in early Jan. Some string a wire and lean them up for "screening" to give deer a place to cross a open area,like between a woods and thick cover but there is a mowed path or lane.

This gives them one spot across it with cover.

Just re read your post.... I'm talking REAL ones they'll last a couple years.

Edited by Larry302

• 2 weeks later...

What is the official stance by the DEC when you use such things on state land? Isn't there some rule about having to remove all stands (materials) when you leave for the day, or is that just something I imagined reading somewhere? Maybe this is not a technique that one can use on state land.

Doc you are correct. According to the Hunting & Trapping Guide it is unlawful to:

Construct or place a permanent structure, blind, stand or platform ( inlcudes placement of nails or other hardware into trees).

Leave any peronal property at the time of leaving the area.