New regulations that we should all be aware of

Clamp

Right, I said if you were putting a bunch of apple cores, but if you toss one that you ate with your lunch? I doubt they are gonna bust your chops for that.

Pretty much what the DEC officer said at the bow class I helped with last weekend. Your percieved intent is what influences them the most - along with attitude.

I just love this law.  They say we aren't allowed to attract wildlife by putting food out for them, but in the next paragraph say that food plots are OK.  Absolutely makes NO sense when you really think about it.  Like food plots aren't food and don't attract deer??

Wow, I'm sure Ted would agree with you. Small wonder.

Enough of the frivolous scenarios!

Didn't want to push this "Hot Button", but here goes...

Steve863 and Buckstophere, I agree with your opinion about food plots and baiting.

Here's a real life scenario:

My neighbor (apple farmer) put in ~12 rows of corn by ~30 yards in length, within 30 yards of our property line.

Approx. 80 yards from the corn is a shooting house and they also have a hang-on stand within 40 yards.

No one will ever convince me that patch of corn is nothing more than a baiting station.

FYI - There are no other agricultural (grain, beans, ..) crops within ~2 miles.

The family is also of the mind-set, "if it's brown, it's down". Think they are protecting their apple harvest.

Are they helping the wildlife with that garden sized plot of corn?

What about he "Secret Hot Spot" food plots that are ~1000 sq' and directly in front of a stand.

Are these not a means of baiting deer into a specific place (stand) for the hunter's benefit?

To attempt to quantify or define an ethical food plot would be futile.

My opinion is that the wildlife should benefit more than the hunter if it's to be a true, ethical food plot.

everyone preaches QDM and AR, but no one wants to use food plots to enhance antler growth and deer size.  How many of you sit over a corn or alfalfa field on a farm? And how many leave some in the field for the deer?  If you do please tell me the difference between the intended food plot deer come to or a field on agricultural land the deer come to.  A bit off the subject, but again if you read the regs it says that an aerosol is not food.  If you can grow it, it is fine. If you carry it in, it is illegal.

I'm not sure I really care about the ethics or logic of it all anymore. As far as I'm concerned, if the DEC is satisfied with a definition of baiting vs. a definition of a food plot, I am happy as long as their definitions are clear, precise and easily understood by any hunter. The fact is that I engage in neither practice so I really don't have to concern myself with the definitions or the logic behind any of it.  :)

Doc

I'm not sure I really care about the ethics or logic of it all anymore. As far as I'm concerned, if the DEC is satisfied with a definition of baiting vs. a definition of a food plot, I am happy as long as their definitions are clear, precise and easily understood by any hunter. The fact is that I engage in neither practice so I really don't have to concern myself with the definitions or the logic behind any of it.  :)

Doc

I guess the line in the sand has to be drawn somewhere. The question is when will it be redrawn again!

I guess the line in the sand has to be drawn somewhere. The question is when will it be redrawn again!

My guess is that the definitions are cast in stone until, or if, the hunter population drops below a level where the DEC feels they have a viable population control tool. If that should happen, anything is possible and likely in terms of relaxing baiting prohibitions.

Doc

perhaps not...I just read the 3 pages and find the whole food plots are no differant than feeding or baiting argument tiresome....On our 73 acres I have12 ground blinds and 26 stands...and 12 food plots....I hunt those areas according to the stand placement and wind...I have no idea where the deer or when they may or may not show up at any given day...and many of those stands and blinds aren't any where near a plot..but near acres of bramble I have growing or near a water feature...fruit trees or the producing red Oak on the property....so no different than agricultural field..

Now with feeding ..heres the thing.... feed is placed in a limited area and at specific times...ie...timer on a feeder....or...Guy gets out of work and has just enough tme to go drop of a pile of what ever...those things happen around the same time of day....causing a unnatural movement pattern in the herd..... thus an un fair advantage to the hunter...see how that works ...so there IMHO is your difference