Center Point Patriot 425 Question?

New York Hillbilly

1 hour ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

Yea and slide the butt stock to it's shortest position. No need for that thing sticking right into my hiatal hernia

You saw my medical record?

More shooting downstairs. Really accurate at this point with field points, so sacrificed a broad head.

Guess what? Same exact point of impact, but after going through the deer target and into the yellow bee target, did not open! I'm not taking any chances on a deer after seeing that. Even if they work every time after this, just having that happen I would be worried all the time.  And if it did go South on me in a real hunting situation I would beat myself up mentally afterwards.

Back to the store for a sling and fixed blade broad heads! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

OK here is an update for anyone interested. First; it took me probably 3 times longer than the video guy I watched to assemble it because I was being extremely careful not to screw this up. Once it was together I was pretty confident it was done properly, but with all the horror stories and pictures of stuff gone wrong and people getting accidentally injured, I'll admit to being more than a little nervous . 

So, now I just came upstairs from shooting the new crossbow. 

Holy Crap!!!   Did I ever under estimate what I was dealing with here!

I discovered quickly after several attempts there was no way on earth I could ever cock the thing with the rope. I had strength enough to draw it to me, but I ran out of me! lol.  I don't have the height to close he gap pulling straight on, and not strong enough to pull the rope over my head to make the last 3 or so inches to get it engaged and locked. 

Thankfully it came with the winch type cocking device. It was a little confusing at first, and I am still not easy with the process of getting it off the string once it is cocked, but am a bit less freaked out about it and it beats just putting the crossbow in a corner and walking away.  

Already nervous about putting my hands accidentally in the wrong place and chopping a finger or hand off, the first shot blew my mind! The bolt blew straight though my deer target, through the 4 inch foam board behind that and straight into my block wall! The bolt looks like a cartoon exploding cigar, and the field point and insert are still stuck in the concrete block. 

With only one other bolt downstairs I put my square, yellow 'bee" target between the deer and the foam backing board and that put an end to taking out my house foundation. I got lots of steps in tonight walking back and forth pulling the bolt from the target, but it also gave me time to think in between my shots to figure stuff out, get more familiar, stay careful and calm. 

At 20 yards now I can put the arrow pretty close to the same hole every time I shoot, so at that distance I seem to be dialed in so I called it a night. I'll do more with it tomorrow to get it to 30 -35 yards or so but I plan to make that my distance limit for this year. 

It sounds to me like you maybe did not loop the rope over the back, prior to putting the clips on the string.  I tried that once while I was learning. Not only would the rope be way too long if used that way, but you would also loose the mechanical advantage of the pulleys, requiring double the pull force. 

In the excitement after killing a very hefty buck (43” chest girth) a few years ago, I lost the rope pulley for my Barnett Recruit.   The next day, I went out after does with it but I had to cock it by hand.  It is fairly low draw weight so wasn’t too bad, but a little tough on the fingers.

I made up a couple little “T” handles with short length of chain and hooks.  They work very well for direct-pull cocking of that low draw weight crossbow.  They are much faster than the rope pulley and might even allow for a fast follow up shot, if it was ever needed. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 12:30 AM, New York Hillbilly said:

OK here is an update for anyone interested. First; it took me probably 3 times longer than the video guy I watched to assemble it because I was being extremely careful not to screw this up. Once it was together I was pretty confident it was done properly, but with all the horror stories and pictures of stuff gone wrong and people getting accidentally injured, I'll admit to being more than a little nervous . 

So, now I just came upstairs from shooting the new crossbow. 

Holy Crap!!!   Did I ever under estimate what I was dealing with here!

I discovered quickly after several attempts there was no way on earth I could ever cock the thing with the rope. I had strength enough to draw it to me, but I ran out of me! lol.  I don't have the height to close he gap pulling straight on, and not strong enough to pull the rope over my head to make the last 3 or so inches to get it engaged and locked. 

Thankfully it came with the winch type cocking device. It was a little confusing at first, and I am still not easy with the process of getting it off the string once it is cocked, but am a bit less freaked out about it and it beats just putting the crossbow in a corner and walking away.  

Already nervous about putting my hands accidentally in the wrong place and chopping a finger or hand off, the first shot blew my mind! The bolt blew straight though my deer target, through the 4 inch foam board behind that and straight into my block wall! The bolt looks like a cartoon exploding cigar, and the field point and insert are still stuck in the concrete block. 

With only one other bolt downstairs I put my square, yellow 'bee" target between the deer and the foam backing board and that put an end to taking out my house foundation. I got lots of steps in tonight walking back and forth pulling the bolt from the target, but it also gave me time to think in between my shots to figure stuff out, get more familiar, stay careful and calm. 

At 20 yards now I can put the arrow pretty close to the same hole every time I shoot, so at that distance I seem to be dialed in so I called it a night. I'll do more with it tomorrow to get it to 30 -35 yards or so but I plan to make that my distance limit for this year. 

Can you post a picture on how you have the rope and hooks on the string prior to cocking?

Well, I picked one up. Rather impressed with it. Got it dialed in dead on at 40y. Even with the cocking rope shortened to the shortest possible length, I have a hard time cocking it with my bad shoulder. The cocking device is very helpful. I can even let it down. No more shooting it to uncock. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...