Jump to content

Beaver trapping


rachunter
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

Oil gland is pretty much righ against the castor .Absolutely no need to wash a beaver hide unless covered in mud.

I was pretty surprised how clean these animals are. I'm going to flesh them tomorrow.how do the caters look? i'm going to use them not sell them.One thing I'll say is the oil smells really nice no wonder the use it for perfumes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, rachunter said:

I was pretty surprised how clean these animals are. I'm going to flesh them tomorrow.how do the caters look? i'm going to use them not sell them.One thing I'll say is the oil smells really nice no wonder the use it for perfumes.

I love the essence of mink and weasel. Skunks not so much lol  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I was pretty surprised how clean these animals are. I'm going to flesh them tomorrow.how do the caters look? i'm going to use them not sell them.One thing I'll say is the oil smells really nice no wonder the use it for perfumes.

Castors look good .maybe a tad more membrane to pull off but they look better than most beginners .

Beaver spend a lot of time grooming themselves .They have a back nail ,one on each side that is used to pick and clean in their fur .It looks like a double nail,but cupped 

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WNYTRPR said:

So do I .never understood why guys complained .I do like skunk too though ..

try dispatching a skunk with a trapping hatchet to the noggin having it stand up on front feet and launching over the top of his head me then taking a full dose in the mouth,eyes and face 2 hours before school  my yearbook had many a "you smelled like skunk and brute by Faberge cologne" commnets lol  @dinorockswill confirm

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

try dispatching a skunk with a trapping hatchet to the noggin having it stand up on front feet and launching over the top of his head me then taking a full dose in the mouth,eyes and face 2 hours before school  my yearbook had many a "you smelled like skunk and brute by Faberge cologne" commnets lol  @dinorockswill confirm

Now ,I would never stoop to that low of an IQ LOL .JK !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m 4 for 4 this morning’s catch was 48lbs. There was a bunch of Veins running along the skin which turned into a bloody mess.He also had something wrong with his foot when I removed it green puss came out. As much as I hated to do it I threw everything but the skull into the carcass pile. This spring I’m building a skinning shed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I’m 4 for 4 this morning’s catch was 48lbs. There was a bunch of Veins running along the skin which turned into a bloody mess.He also had something wrong with his foot when I removed it green puss came out. As much as I hated to do it I threw everything but the skull into the carcass pile. This spring I’m building a skinning shed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That green puss fleshes off easy.waste of a good hide lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That green puss fleshes off easy.waste of a good hide lol

The puss wasn’t the problem it was in the bone. The problem was by the time I got the skin off it and me where covered with blood. I butchered 100’s of deer and never seen that much blood come out of an animal. I actually took my gloves off to see if I cut myself. Is there a way to remove the blood from the fur? Did you ever skin one with veins on the skin?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, rachunter said:


The puss wasn’t the problem it was in the bone. The problem was by the time I got the skin off it and me where covered with blood. I butchered 100’s of deer and never seen that much blood come out of an animal. I actually took my gloves off to see if I cut myself. Is there a way to remove the blood from the fur? Did you ever skin one with veins on the skin?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never payed much attention to any blood coming from an animal .I use loppers to quickly remove the  feet .When beaver are freshly skinned ,they bleed good .Just how it is .I get massive bags of saw dust from a mill so I always have it on hand to use it to soak up any kind of blood/grease if need be .I’ll also toss fur in a tumbler with saw dust if I need to dry or clean it .Do mostly fox and coyotes in the tumbler .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never payed much attention to any blood coming from an animal .I use loppers to quickly remove the  feet .When beaver are freshly skinned ,they bleed good .Just how it is .I get massive bags of saw dust from a mill so I always have it on hand to use it to soak up any kind of blood/grease if need be .I’ll also toss fur in a tumbler with saw dust if I need to dry or clean it .Do mostly fox and coyotes in the tumbler .

I tried dragging it through the snow. Probably should’ve rinsed it in the creek. The others had minimal blood compared to this one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The trap was untouched this morning hopefully that’s that. I tried fleshing one of the medium pelts today. I knew it wasn’t going to come out perfect and didn’t won’t to mess up the first one I got. It went pretty good no cuts through the skin,had some trouble around the rear and up by the face. One of the back legs came out a little funky. Those guys on YouTube make it look easy. Hopefully with some practice I’ll improve. Definitely getting a wider fleshing beam.
The yotes found the carcass pile last night it looked like a murder scene back there. If I was better prepared I’d set something up around there and try for a few.
Could I skin and freeze the pelts until I get a better fleshing beam?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another day with an empty trap. With the rain all day yesterday the water was high. I’m going to leave it set for a few more days. I was online looking for a solution to my fleshing beam and think I found what I need for better stability. Going out to rig it up.
I pressure cooked the legs from one then fried the meat in butter pretty good. I definitely going to try and make sandwiches out of them this way.
7a08b603c13e2245c610af3a08c8a912.jpg
c477850f63de9c4ea82d72b9a25ff596.jpg
My new favorite sauce


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...