Fast Eddie's Fables

fasteddie

Was very optimistic about the opener only to have another crappy day . Sat in a new stand that was on a horse trail . Would be able to shoot 70 yards at the most . Thickets on both sides of the trail . Saw nothing . !st shot I heard was just before 7am . Youngest son Nick said he shot at a doe and said he was getting down at 9 to check for blood . Said it ran across woods headed my way . He didn't find any blood . I was bored . Got out of my stand and walked the horse trail about 60 yards . Looked in the woods and saw the white of the doe's belly and let Nick know where it was . Got back in the stand until noon . Changed stands and sat in one facing north . All I saw was a group of 12 turkeys and later 4 more . No deer . Heard several shots in the am and several after 4pm . Will go back Monday . I don't hunt 2 days in a row . My back can't take it . 

Finally broke the jinx ! He shoots - He scores ! I Was in a double stand where my oldest son shot 2 deer yesterday am . Nothing ! Wasn't hearing any shots except a couple that sounded like they were in Avon a ways away . It was cold and windy . I was ready to leave at noon but stuck it out . I asked my youngest son Nick if he wanted to leave at 4 and he said why not 4:30 . Okay .At 3:45 , I saw a doe at almost 100 yards North of me and then 3 more followed . The larger doe came to an opening in the brush . I shot and she took off like a rocket . The other 3 doe just stood there and when one hit the opening , I shot again with my NEF 25-06 . All 3 took off and I thought , oh crap . I got down and checked for blood . Didn't see any and walked in the direction of where the 1st deer ran . Saw her big white belly         and called Nick . Then I walked in the direction that the 2nd deer ran and found her . Nick came over to field dress the 2 while I went to the ATV and up to where I parked the Subi to get the Jet Sled . It was now dark and hard to maneuver the ATV through the downed trees and limbs but got it done . Dropped the deer off at my oldest son's residence for him to process . What a day !

2020 11-23 Ed's double.JPG

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

I woke up at 12:30 this am and had excruciating pain in both thighs . No matter what I did the pain wouldn't go away . Had a hard time sitting up and just as bad standing . Worst pain I can ever remember having . Hobbled down stairs and got in the LazyBoy chair . Was able to get some sleep . Not sure the cause . Could have been dehydration  I only had 16 ounces of water before leaving the house at 4:30 but drank another 56 ounces between 6:30 and 11 pm . The cause could have been from dragging the 2 deer a pretty good distance and using leg muscles that I normally don't use  So I decided to recuperate and not go out again until Saturday . 

Has anyone experienced this during hunting season ? 

Congratz on the good looking venison! I tend to get some good Charlie horses and cramps after overdoing a deer drag or two. This year not so bad. I think the 4 months of PT after my ACL replacement had the legs ready. I also tend to get cramped up in some of the uncomfortable stands. I got to remember to stand and stretch once in a while. Hope you back to feeling good quickly!

10 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I woke up at 12:30 this am and had excruciating pain in both thighs . No matter what I did the pain wouldn't go away . Had a hard time sitting up and just as bad standing . Worst pain I can ever remember having . Hobbled down stairs and got in the LazyBoy chair . Was able to get some sleep . Not sure the cause . Could have been dehydration  I only had 16 ounces of water before leaving the house at 4:30 but drank another 56 ounces between 6:30 and 11 pm . The cause could have been from dragging the 2 deer a pretty good distance and using leg muscles that I normally don't use  So I decided to recuperate and not go out again until Saturday . 

Usually in my Hamstrings + Calves on Turkey Hunts when, I walk in excess of 5 miles or so. 

Most likely , I was Potassium Depleted and dehydrated.  I always take a Centrum Silver with my Coffee before heading out.  And, I eat a Banana on getting home to prevent painful muscle tightness.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2020 at 7:37 PM, fasteddie said:

I have gotten cramps, thigh and calves for 30 yrs.I keep a bottle of tonic water next to the bed, works every time.Yellow mustard ,spoonful will usually work also.

• Like 1

Hunted Geneseo today with 2 of my sons . We were in stands by 6am . Only 1 hour and 20 minutes before legal time . We figured if we spooked any deer , hunters coming into adjacent properties later would kick them back . Heard the 1st shot at 7:01 and another 5 distant shots stretched out over the next 5 hours . We stayed until 4:30 and had enough of not seeing any deer . There was probably about a dozen or so shots in the afternoon but nothing close by . Had 12 hen turkeys go past my stand within 5 yards around 4:15 . It was a bit nippy with the wind blowing . 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Hunted Geneseo today with 2 of my sons . We were in stands by 6am . Only 1 hour and 20 minutes before legal time . We figured if we spooked any deer , hunters coming into adjacent properties later would kick them back . Heard the 1st shot at 7:01 and another 5 distant shots stretched out over the next 5 hours . We stayed until 4:30 and had enough of not seeing any deer . There was probably about a dozen or so shots in the afternoon but nothing close by . Had 12 hen turkeys go past my stand within 5 yards around 4:15 . It was a bit nippy with the wind blowing . 

That is near Sundown. Those Hens probably have a favored Roost area nearby. Good info for next May.

Was in my elevated box blind stand at the pond in Geneseo by 6:30 this am . Youngest son Nick got a call and had to leave at 9:15 . Matt and I stayed until 4pm and gave up . Before we left , Matt walked the thickets to see if he could push anything to me . Nothing came out . None of us saw any deer . Heard a random shot in the distance a few times during the day but not many . 

Just now, fasteddie said:

It's time to try my spot in Walworth . Better to drive 10 miles and see nothing versus driving 50 miles and seeing zilch . It's forecasted to be 24 degrees with a real feel of 17 degrees so I don't know how long I can hold out . Time will tell . 

I gotta say Eddie, your Geneseo spot seems to disappoint you just about every time. Why not go in with your boys and lease something somewhere with some better deer numbers. Just my 2 cents!

We have taken 8 deer off of the Geneseo spot so far this year . Haven't heard anything from the guys that lease the property west of us . I don't see the gun hunter numbers in the area like there use to be . Had some big bucks on camera but haven't seen them in daylight hours .

I had a 8H permit signed over to me as I shot 2 doe November 23 and used my 2 tags . I have 2 tags for 8F and 1 for 8H that was signed over to me .  

Geez, maybe I’m missing something but it seems like many of your posts you spent most of not all day hunting and not seeing anything. I guess the spots better than you lead us to believe.

Edited by Zag

I told my oldest son that I think we are over hunting the woods and I won't go back until Thursday . The deer have been traveling across the woods just north of the property we hunt . No doubt they are also hunkered down in the thickets south of our woods . There is almost 8 acres of thickets , etc ..

Was in a blind in Walworth by 6:45 this am . Sat until 11 am and gave up . Didn't see anything and it was cold . My friend's son was there yesterday as I had him on camera . Also , a trapper has been on the property to trap yotes , fox , raccoons , etc . So there has been a lot of human activity on the property . My friend showed me where the various traps are set . 

• Like 1